Windows 2008 r2 downloaded, wish I didn't start the other job now

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Kitkatninja, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

As the title says... Windows 2008 r2 downloaded, wish I didn't start the other job now.

Got our spanking new modular server & Vtrak in and we've already installed Windows 2008 onto both modules and virtualised/moved acrossed already virtual servers to them (we got a few more to do).

Just found out that r2 has been released so I've just downloaded and burnt the DVD. Checked the SCVMM and we're still virtualising our MIS server (from this morning), well upgrading the host virtual servers to r2 won't be my toy now (I'm off next week).

Also looks like we're going for the domain/forest of 2k8 r2 since it's out now... All I have to wait for is Exchange 2010 to be released, then apart from services packs and updates, we won't have to do anything else (apart from the client machines) for a good few years :)

We still have to install 96 PC's around the place, however the rooms where the PC's are going haven't exactly been refurbished yet (no power, no networking, no desking, no nothing, no ceiling, etc...). What can go wrong? :rolleyes::tune:lol:

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

What kind of school do you work at again?
    the last one i worked at could barely afford toner!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

He didn't mention anything about us being able to afford any electricty for the next few years did he? :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

"Well Children, as you can see the school has been fully kitted out over the Holidays with new PCs. soo, get your pens and paper out"

I have about 12 left to install of 175, it is really beginning to drag a lot. The motivation is disappearing fast, just installed R2 on DC01, DC02 and APP01 so it is moving ahead, Just need to image most of my **** around here.

Got it;s depressing, there is only me and the cleaners :(

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Heh, just me in IT Services this week, so I feel your pain. Just sucessfully uprgraded one of our main virtual hosts from 2008 SP2, to 2008 R2 and it seemed to go well. Now time for the other one. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  6. Kitkatninja

Cool, glad you're having fun :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hmm 'seemed to go well' is such a relative term. :)

When upgrading from 2K8 to 2K8 R2, it does you the favour of resetting all your virtual network settings for Hyper-V to Internal Only. So as long as you only want your virtual servers to talk to each other you have no problems ... :)

Servers that were previously using Intel ProSet network load balancing also don't like the P2V process it would seem.

8. Kitkatninja

That's good... It could have been alot worse :)

Wonder how many people are running, upgrading their domains/forest to Windows 2008 r2? I feel a poll coming on :)

-Ken