Windows 2003 Server VPS - Useful?

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by St. Even, Sep 4, 2009.

1. St. Even

St. Even Bit Poster

Hi all!

After getting my A+ and Network+ 2009 Certificate I'm working on getting MCSA certified. I'm currently studying for the 70-620 (Windows Vista) exam which I plan to take in two weeks.

After that 70-290 and 70-291 are up. Since I'm currently abroad I don't have the option of setting up a testing lab (a Windows 2003 Server computer and some Windows Vista computers) at home. That's why I'm thinking of getting myself a Windows 2003 Server VPS. Has anybody already done it this way? I know that I loose the practice of installing Windows 2003 Server myself, but I've installed Windows (9x/2000/XP/Vista) so many times that I don't think it will be too difficult to install Windows 2003 Server. I'm just wondering if the VPS setup will allow me enough freedom to practice everything I need to know for the exams...

Thanks for your time and (hopefully) answers!

St. Even

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums! How much real-world server administration experience do you have?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. anthony micallef

anthony micallef Bit Poster

Hi, Ive just embarked on my MCSA also and like you do not have the option of being able to set up a lab. On the advice of other members I have set up 2 virual machines on my laptop to run W2003 Server. This is the only option I have so it will have to do as far as practicing for the exam is concerned.

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Whats a VPS? :blink

5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I think he means a Virtual Private Server - I rent a Linux one for hosting my domains etc. and many hosts offer Windows one though in my experience it's usually the webserver version.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ahh!

Just use you Vista PC and install MS Virtual PC onto it instead. 8)