Windows 2003 Server problem - File sharing

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Fluid, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

i made two partitions on my HDD and installed windows 2003 server with sp2 and all the relevant updates. I made a folder on the other partion and set it to share. but for some reason its also sharing my C drive but other people on the network cannot access it without a password. When ever i tell it to stop sharing the C drive, it stops but then it says after reboot sharing will be enabled for administrative purposes. Why does it do this? how can i stop it from completely sharing the c drive?

2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Fluid,

Have you searched online for your answer?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I think if you right click on your Network card in Network connections, then go to properties, you can un-tick 'File and Print sharing for Microsoft Networks'.That might help, remember there are hidden admin shares by default so that looks like why you are getting that error message.

If you do need to setup a share just leave the admin shares in the C: drive.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

In windows server there are a number of so called "administrative shares". Your C-drive is on those admin shares and labeled as c$. In fact, al your drives are shared in this way (not CD players and floppy drives). These admin shares can by used only by administrators.
    The system (the network, windows) needs to have access to other computers to allow remote administration and so on.
    You can get yourself in trouble when you stop this sharing.
    It can be switched off, but you'll have to tweak the registry.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  5. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

ok thanks for the help lads!