Windows 2003 Router

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by JohnBradbury, Nov 11, 2006.

1. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Hi guys,
    I'm building a virtual network lab with Vmware and I'm having a few problems configuring windows 2003 as a router.

I am trying to configure simply routing across two subnets. I have filmed a short video of the issue:

http://www.johnbradbury.com/training/windows-router.wmv

Any help would be great.

P.S. Please forgive all the sniffling but I have a bad cold :)

2. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Hey John, crank up the sound a bit! Hope you feel better...

2003 comes clamped down out of the box, so make sure the firewalls are turned off on either-end VM's. Obviously, this needs to be disabled to run RRAS, so you're clear on the router.

I assume you've tried standard ping test on each-end VM: ping the localhost, then the local IP (arguable, since the M$ TCP/IP stack can shortcut), then the gateway, then the remote host, then the hostname (if name resolution is functional).

I almost invariably screw up the interfaces on the router (normally the gateway settings), but that's usually a silly mistake or typo. Come to think of it, most of my issue are config issues :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  3. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

This may be a silly question, but Did you set the gateway in the Network Settings on remote and local to point to the Router?

4. JohnBradbury

Thanks guys it's working like a charm now!

The actual problem was that I hadn't entered the gateway address for each card on the router. I had assumed that when I enabled LAN routing this would somehow bridge the cards.

To be honest I've never used any edition of Windows Server as a router as I'm sure most haven't. However, having seen that I could I wanted to mess around with it :biggrin

5. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Glad you got it sorted.

Just out of interest what did you use to create your video?

Thanks

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i would of thought it was a dv cam (or some sort) and converted to wmv format.

7. JohnBradbury

There are a vast array of screen capture packages on the market but I prefer to use Camtasia Studio.

http://www.camtasiastudio.com/

It has a lot of features but it is on the pricey side. In the next couple of weeks I'm going to be posting a ton of free training videos which I've made using this product, I'd recommend it 100%.