Windows 2003 or 2008?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by ziggo, Oct 12, 2010.

1. ziggo

ziggo New Member

Hello, I'm new to this site and have a question I hope someone can advise on. I'm trying to decide which Microsoft exams to study for. I can't decide between Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008. Does anyone know which of these OS's is the more widely used in the business world? Which do you think would be the best one to study for? Thanks.

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Server 2003 is the predominant OS currently in use. Considering many companies still use Windows 2000 Server, Windows Server 2003 should be around for a while.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with Michael... Windows Server 2003 is probably the most used server OS. However Windows Server 2008 is going to be used more and more as the years pass so you should learn it as well.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Absolutely. Not instead of Windows Server 2003, but in addition to.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You should learn what you work with.

If your new to IT or trying to get into IT having server 2003 or 2008 certs wont do you much good as you will probably be starting in first line support or as a general IT tech and not doing work on servers.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

As gbl said, best to study for what you work with.

2003 is still used widely, it won't hurt to study for it. If you pass enough exams, you can always use the much easier upgrade path to go to 2008 at a later point in time.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM