1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 2003 Dynamic Disk on hardware RAID-5?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mikeyboy, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Hi All...

just wondered if it possible to setup a RAID-5 array, and then in windows server, convert it to a dynamic disk? I assume this would be possbile, but is it worth doing, or best to be avoided, will i still have the same fault tolerance? As I assume windows would get confused, seeing one disk with part of it being dynamic and part being basic?

Not sure if it is even worth considering, I understand it bypasses the 2tb limits in windows by spanning disks etc, but I dont want to lose fault tolerance, and not sure what the real advantages of doing it would be. Was thinking more or the expandability point of view, ie. presumably if I set up the array, add another disk, i would then be able to extend the volume to use this space, rather than creating another partition on it?

If someone could try and figure out what I am on about that would be helpful :D

I recently had a disk failure on a 6 month old 2tb disk, and have spent the last week recovering the data, so i dont ever want to be in that position again - have just got some RAID cards to set up a RAID 5 array but wondered about adding more disks to it (in terms of how I can use it in windows)

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

If it's a hardware raid 5 setup, it won't matter what type of volume or partition is on it afterwards. The server will just see a pool of space and you can divvy it up how you see fit.
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Denver Maxwell

Denver Maxwell Nibble Poster

Dynamic Disks can be a pain to restore.. make sure you test your backup / restore presedure before you put it into operation.
    NTBackup works but plenty others wont see the disks.
    Certifications: VMware VCP v5, GVF Level 3a, ITIL V3, Windows 2008 something or other...
    WIP: Prince 2? CCENT? mmm donno
  4. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

OK, thanks... will probably just stick to normal partitions then!
    Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+