Windows 2003 DNS inside VMware?

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by bic26, Feb 23, 2008.

1. bic26

bic26 New Member

Hello, everyone...

Please bear with me if this question is silly, but I've been banging my head on my desk for about 3 days now, and still no luck. Please take a look here: My (WRONG!) setup!

Why can't I get the virtual machines inside the VMware network to see the Internet? I have two NICs inside the virtual server, one is bridged to the physical network and the other one is attached to the VM network. I modified the subnet on VMnet2, since I want to use static IPs. Now, every green line is a "Go". Every red line, is "Dead".

192.168.10.20 (and .30 and .40) can ping 12.34.56.100, 101, etc., which I take it to mean that IP routing is working. But it can't get outside of the network. I can't ping anything outside of 12.34.56.0. My DNS is also working, since XP_02, XP_03 and XP_04 have successfully joined the "test.com" domain.

The purpose of this is to set up a split DNS test network. Can anyone give me hint where I've gone wrong?

Thanks a lot.

Bic.

2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

This looks like its because your gateway router has no route back to your VMNet 2 system, if you switch the 2k3 box into a NAT mode not a route mode it should work,

let me try explain it

2k3 Server has 12 address, thus gateway router has route to it (it likely has a 12. address) thus 2k3 server can ping both 192 network, 12 network, and beyond
    XP physicals/bridged are on 12 network, they can see gateway router and gateway router can see them
    192 systems can reach 12 network, but not beyond, edge router between 12. and internet has no route back to 192 network (via 2k3 server) thus it cant find a path

it might not be that, but i can only go on whats in your pic, and i've seen that problem plenty of times before, fortunatly for me my edge router is my ISA box (the Cisco router with the WIC card has a global IP, but so does the ISA, so all routing/nat is done by my ISA box) so its very easy for me to add static routes for additional networks to it

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. bic26

bic26 New Member

OK, but if I switch the WIN2K3 box to NAT, I loose my static IPs... I don't want to use DHCP just yet, I wanted to use static IPs. What if I add a static route from 12. to 192. inside the WIN2K3 VM? Maybe I'm wrong, but once I enable IP Routing inside the WIN2K3 VM do I still need to add static (and permanent) routes? I currently don't have any.

Thanks

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

well if your XP clients have joined the domain successfuly, they are indeed able to use local DNS name resolution. Since DNS is used locally and on the Internet, you need a way to get your DNS server to forward requests destined for the Internet to external DNS server/s. This is done by putting known good Internet DNS servers (your ISPs for example) in the forwarders tab of the properties of *your* DNS server.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Or you could set up a forwarder to your router - as shown below (provided, of course, that you have a router!)

[​IMG]

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. bic26

bic26 New Member

Even when I put SBC's DNS servers in there, I still cant get out.

Let me ask you a simpler question...

What's the simplest configuration that I need to have in order to join two disjointed LAN segments?

Lets say I have 1.2.3.0 (physical) and 2.3.4.0 (virtual)

What kind of bridging do I use inside VMware server that joins the two?
    I want the VM Server machine to have two NICs, with one leg inside the 1.2.3.0 and one inside the 2.3.4.0.

Since 1.2.3.0 is the physical network, then I need to use VMnet0 (Bridged). Correct?

Now what kind of network do I use to connect the the rest of the machines on the 2.3.4.0 (the virtual network) and use static IPs?

A host-only? Do I create a custom virtual network?

I think that's my problem. The two networks don't see each other. I added another binding to a machine on the physical network and I gave it the same IP as one of the machines inside the virtual network. Windows didn't report an IP conflict.