Windows 2000 Server Install Error Message

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jackd, Mar 28, 2006.

1. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

The only settings i can find in the bios that are anthing to do with memory are SDRAM CAS Latency which is set to 3 Clock and DRAM Driving Curent:Auto

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can you give us an idea of the kit you are installing this on? Is it an old server or have you build a pc from some old components? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Dosh

Dosh Bit Poster

HMM a CAS latency of 3 is usually pretty standard and the the current set in auto would be ok. What about your CD drive in the BIOS for changing your boot order so you can boot directly from CD. Also if it is set to boot from CD and can't can you boot other discs like a live linux distro? Which you could always try that, use a live Linux Distro and run diagnostic tools. But I agree with everyone else that it most likely is a problem with your RAM.

~Brad

4. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

The kit is basically a old server it has had this os on before.

5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

What have you done to the machine physically since it was running alright? It might pay to pull it apart and give it a good clean and make sure all the connectors are tight and all the cards and RAM are seated properly.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

thanks for reminding be nugget! one day i switched the server on and it said there was a BIOS problem so i went into the bios and just pressed return to original settings and when it restarted it didnt work?

7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Aha - so I was on the right lines with my memory timing comment!

You will need to do a search for your memory and your motherboard to see what settings need to be reset.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

so do i just need to look for my motherboard (M583lmr) and my memory. Because i do not have a clue what to search for for the memory

9. Dosh

Dosh Bit Poster

What speed is your processor and and memory? Is the memory PC-100 or PC-133, or DDR? Also what BIOS is it?

10. hbroomhall

Wow - this appears to be an old Socket 7 PCChips board!

I'd try increasing the CAS to start with.

I'd also use memtest86 to test the result.

Harry.

11. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

I dont know why youre saying wow it doesnt work for me :cry:
    I'll try the software

12. hbroomhall

Sorry - I didn't mean to be difficult or nasty - just haven't seen such a board for a *long* time!

There appears to be very little info on that board. What type of memory do you have?

Harry.

13. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

I know it was just a joke !!

I know try finding drivers for it. I dont have a clue on what to tell you about the ram but i will just type whats on the memory. On one card it says NANYA NT56V6620C0T-75BS and on the other card it says PC 100 SDRAM 8MX64 64MB DIMM MODULE TA 0ANA 0043 8MX16T1 Y USA

14. hbroomhall

Hm - I'd try without the non PC100 memory stick in.

Harry.

15. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

i would take the PC100 card out but it will not install without it. have know idea why

16. Dosh

Dosh Bit Poster

What if you take the other card out and leave the PC-100 in?

17. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

The same thing happens basically

18. hbroomhall

Wrong way round - take the card out that *isn't* PC100.

Further - I think the other card is PC133. The fact that it isn't marked as such I would view as worrying - as it may not be full spec.

In any case, mixing memory like this can sometimes be a problem.

Harry.

19. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

yes but it worked before the bios thingy happened

20. Dosh

Dosh Bit Poster

Ok if you had BIOS errors, then there is one thing you could try but it is very dangerous and I don't recommend it unless you have no other options. You could try to find a flash for your BIOS and run that. But it is once again very dangerous to do as it could result in destroying the BIOS which would render the board useless if it is the wrong BIOS flash.

P.S. If I'm responding slowly or my thoughts don't make sense right away please don't think it's because I'm a yank :) ... I'm having big issues with my exchange server right now.