Windows 10

Discussion in 'Software' started by zxspectrum, Mar 7, 2015.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

So, i did the upgrade to windows 10, not in a VM but on my laptop. I saved the recovery partition to an external drive, which has decided to go belly up on me, and when i go on the Acer site, there is no recovery partition for my laptop, which is quite frustrating.

I have tried to repair and get all the files from the external hard drive, but it a no no, every time it boots, i just get the blue screen and have to boot back into preview etc.

Anyone got any ideas how to get out of this mess???

Cheers

Eddie

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Why not stick with windows 10 ?

3. zxspectrum

Well from what I have been told, in April it reverts back to 8.1, and as my recovery is goosed, then my OS will cease to exist, or am i wrong???

Ed

4. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

They are going to give Windows 10 free, what is possibly a thorny issue, is if you can upgrade from preview to Windows 10 full or if you must do a clean install.

So you might need to download Windows 10 full in April, and put in your laptop license details, who knows...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    Haroon Mustafa likes this.
  5. Haroon Mustafa

Haroon Mustafa Byte Poster

Yes, i agree ^^ they are giving Windows 10 free towards the end of the year. Only free for previous Windows 8 & 8.1 users. However, the people with preview windows 10 were warned that they should have a a recovery or another OS to fall back on.
    That does not mean you're screwed. But i am not saying they will give preview users a win 10 update fro free. Because that means Win 7 users can just put preview on there PC and get win 10 for free...

Certifications: Cisco IT Essens - Various College Btech Certs
    WIP: Study CCNA 1 / apprentice at Level 2 Stage
  6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I'm going to wait till its free... I may run it as a VM at some point though.. it looks like you will just have to reinstall the original OS tbh and lose your files.. I assume when you upgraded to W10 it was a clean install so your files wouldn't have been saved anyway. (I could be talking out my rear-end I knew nothing about OS until a month ago, but from what I've read in my book this could be the case)

7. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Actually I heard Windows 10 will be free for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users, so pretty much everyone.

8. Haroon Mustafa

Windows 7?!?! That's something I have not heard off:3

9. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

10. Haroon Mustafa

i might need to catch on some reading, lol.

11. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

One thing for those running Windows 10 now, remember this is for testing purposes only and will\may crash more often than your existing OS.

I for one wouldn't be running it as an every day environment with critical data on it, I would run it as a VM just to get a feel for it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  12. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

If need to go back to your previous Windows 7 installation and your recovery partition is now fubar, you could try downloading an ISO from our recovery center: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

You need to type the license key (e.g. retail key in this case I believe, assuming you have one) and the download should be available. Not sure if it also works for OEM ISO's, but worth a try I guess.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  13. zxspectrum

Ive got win 8 but i hope it will work. Creating the media as i type, and yes i have the product key. So fingers crossed

Cheers

Ed

14. zxspectrum

All done, except the first installation kept crashing at 85%, so got a new download and it worked a treat.

Didnt even have to put my key in, and the bonus side, its all fresh with no acer bloatware on it. Sweet

Cheers for the help guys

Ed

15. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Yep windows 7 is included in the free upgrade, I use windows 10 everyday and I'm pretty happy with it

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing