Windows 10 - Enterprise deployment

Discussion in 'Software' started by Apexes, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Looking to go for deployment next year to around 15,000 machines.

Question - has anyone else out there in an enterprise environment even looked at Windows 10 yet? I'm aware that Win7 is slowly aging, and yes we will eventually have to go to Windows 10.

I'm starting my process researching win10 and everything that'll be needed on a base image, but keen to find out what others have had in testing of it so far?

I've not even got it installed on my machine yet, which i will do soon.

I guess my question is to those who've got it in enterprise, is there anything i should be looking out for to either include, or exclude, or other general observations with the product?

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Kinda depends on what your business needs really and what you are using for management at the moment. Could look at products such as Intune, MDT for management and deployment. Make sure your pc/laptop estate is up to windows 10 by trial running install and management on typical workstation makes and models.

What sort of thing do you think you are missing?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Yeah we're sorted infrastructure wise, i guess my questions is on the base image rather than deployment, i've already got osd and mdt setup for that.

Having not actually used Windows 10 yet, i wondered if anybody had come across any good/bad features that comes as standard in windows 10, and stuff i may want to enable/disable.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

All our work machines have been moved to W10 and alot of the tickets we get people are using W10 I dont think much of it I like 7 as I know where everything is.. I think its pretty much the same really its just an adjustment learning where things are in 10. I dont see how you'd face any real issues really as 10 can do what 7 can do, only thing I've stumbled on is a few program compatibility issues.

5. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I like Windows 10 but I know a lot of people who cant stand the UI so when we deploy it I dare say we will have to make it look like windows 7 for the teachers, which we can do with the classic shell thats freely available.

Having said that we haven't made plans as of yet to deploy it as far as I know, im guessing we will find out soon, hopefully. We dont even have SCCM for windows 7 set up so we are behind in terms of imaging etc.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  6. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Personally, I love Windows 10. I installed it as a VM first for testing then after about a month upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 10.

We have talked about using it in a work environment but decided against it at the moment. As an IT Person, I love Windows 10, however, I think from a corporate perspective, it's too early for us to roll it out.