Windows 10 anyone?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by SimonV, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I started by forcing the upgrade on my HTPC (an ASRock VisionX). Went without a hitch, so that was nice.

Moved onto my Dell Venue 8 Pro and had to free up a bit of space (deleting the recovery partition) and using the binaries from a micro-SD card along with a BIOS update (as otherwise it would fail).

Next was my domain joined, BYOD (Buy Your Own Device, haha) Surface Pro 3 (running Windows 8.1 Pro rather than Enterprise), and was happy to see the upgrade work without a hitch.

Finally went onto my Dell M4700 (company work horse for labs and stuff), which had our internal Enterprise image waiting in queue. It also updated fine.

So overall, I didn't really have any issues. I'll check for further BIOS updates and drivers for the HTCP and the M4700 just in case additional stability is needed.

Was happy to tell Cortana "hey cortana, play some nine inch nails", to which she replied "and now, nine inch nails", which she began playing off the local music folder :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  2. Vince Polston

Vince Polston Nibble Poster

I was tired of waiting in line so I downloaded the media creation tool and upgraded my Windows 7 laptop. Really great speed improvement. I have had a few clients bring in their computers that got hung up on the installing portion; but mine went without a hitch.

For those who don't want to wait inline go download the media creation tool: microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

^ I don't have rights to post links yet. You know what to do. :)

When prompted select upgrade and keep files. Didn't lose anything and didn't have to re-install any of my programs. So much yes.

3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Isit true windows 10 is only free for a year then you have to purchase an actual key?

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Nah, it's 1 year to claim the free upgrade. Once claimed, it's yours! no fees after a year :)

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
    Juelz likes this.
  5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Ah right, I actually ordered a refurbished Windows 7 system today just to play about with (barely use PCs/Laptops now I have a tablet) probably wont upgrade it to W10.

6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

If you upgrade to windows 10, don't forget to disable the key loggers, feedback apps, etc... With Windows 10, there's a lot of data being sent to Microsoft with the default settings, especially if you use Cortana often.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Just upgraded my work PC to Windows 10 this morning, it was relatively painfree - the only down side is that the option for keeping all files, apps and programs was disabled. So just kept files and settings, no biggy :)

Will at some point (hopefully this week) upgrade my home PC to windows 10. Want to the ability to stream Xbox 1 games to the PC :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Yep, on my corporate laptop and home machine. So far everything works as it should, apart from the corporate login script.....

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

As Prof said, it's specific to the installed OS and can't be transferred.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

My Surface Pro 2 and little boys Lenovo 10 upgraded without issue.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am actually waiting on Surface Pro 4 with the supposedly new Skylake CPU and Win 10... Should be a great little monster!