win2k3 server trial.

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by chuxsta, Aug 5, 2007.

1. chuxsta

chuxsta New Member

hi again..

i finally got me a machine to install win2k3 server on so i can start messing about with setting up servers in real time rather than seeing it on paper,,

after installing it and booting up it was all fine, after shutting down the server pc and coming back to it i now cant get into it as it claims my trial time has expired,, that means i got 4 hours rather than how every many months i was allowed.

but now i cannot get into the OS at all and i cant even reboot off my win2k3 disc to reinstall it..

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sounds like you set it up do dual-boot on your PC, is that correct? When you said you got four hours out of it, do you mean four hours of operational time when the OS was actually running or do you mean you set it up 4 hours previously and not it's quit?

You should be able to install server on a computer and run it for 14 days before having to register it with Microsoft. In theory, you shouldn't even have to register it since it will continue running after the 14th day and just bug you periodically that you should register.

I usually blow away my evaluation server long before the 120 limit is up and reinstall it when I need it. That way, I can reinstall it repeatedly and not have an issue. Of course, this means I can't use it in any sort of "production" role, but I only use it to test lab steps, do screen captures and write books.

EDIT: Have you changed the clock on your PC at all. That's how the trial version knows how much time has passed. There's usually a step in the installation when it asks you to verify the date and time.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. chuxsta

chuxsta New Member

i think my bios clock reset and that caused the time bomb to go off,

but i have re installed it on a new hard drive and started again and all is working as intended..

have new issues now will make a new thread as this one has been solved.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

chuxsta, if you're going to be posting new threads about W2K3 Server, may I suggest you post them in one of the Microsoft forums instead of here. It'll avoid confusion and people more well versed in server will more likely to be monitoring those forums.

Certifications: A+ and Network+