Win2k problem. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mattwest, Apr 7, 2004.

1. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hi

We run a Red Hat Linux 9 file server using samba. All our machines connect via a mapped drive to this box for the main file share.

However on one box i setup a mapped drive and it works for a few days or a week or so and suddenly stops working. The drive is still present and you can see all of the first level folders on the drive.

However the user cannot get into any of their usual folders, no access what so ever.

If i connect on a different machine as that user, using their password and map a drive it works fine, showing that the username and password on the linux box is ok.

Also if i reset the password on the linux box (to be sure) and re-map the drive and restart, the user has working access again (but in a few days or so it will stop working).

Anyone ever experienced anything similiar?

Is there a hashed or password store that might be being erased by Win2k? Something i could disable in the registry?

We enable the key "enableplaintextpassword" in order to connect to the linux box using plain text passwords.

Any ideas?

Its stange how the box will allow me to connect to the drive and see the folders, but NOT access any of them. I'd of thought it was the Linux permissions playing up BUT connecting on a different machine with the users credentials works fine, so it leads me to believe it is a problem with the Win2k box.....??

Thanks in advance!

Matt

:eek:

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA