WIN XP Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Luddym, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Talking about OEM Product Id's . . .

On my desktop PC, which has a sticker on the side showing the product ID, upon checking the windos software, the ID shows up as something like . . . .

55466-OEM-0011903-00006

Not the 25 character code on the label. Is this quite normal?

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes I think so!

Try searching the registry for part of the sequence of numbers on the label on the case (product ID) and you will find that it is in the registry as well.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The problem with units like HPs is that they use SLP (System Locked Preload) and keys for that won't work except on such a system. (More detail than you could possibly want at http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000506.html).

If you change the motherboard on such a system you have to have a 'standard' install disk, and use that disk's key.

On the laptop - get a replacement install disk. Less hasle than any other route.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Just for reference Belarc will tell you the WPA as well as a load of other usefull info about the machine you are working on. Although in this case be about as much use as one of Del boys brief cases with no combination number!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Thanks everyone,

Especial thanks Harry, I read that lot, and find it quite interesting indeed.

Much appreciated.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard