Win XP Logon

Discussion in 'Software' started by noelg24, Jul 30, 2004.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Right guys this has bugging me ever since I have installed XP on my PC (or should that be re-installed). The problem I am having and I havent really got round to sorting it is that my logon screen to Win XP is that of Win2K and Win NT 4.0 and the not the usual Welcome screen you would normally get. I have been into Control Panel to sort this out and it says that a file is missing by the name of gsnami.dll I have no idea what it is and I cant remember what triggered it. I really dont wana do System Restore cos that will take it back to about Jan or Feb :eek: and I have installed so much since that time and done loads of updates.

So I am wondering what other way is there I can rectify this so I can get it back to the normal welcome screen without having to re-install the whole thing and will I need to use the XP CD for this? I think I did a search for the file on the CD but cant remember. Any ideas will be grateful peeps.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

if you tell me what version of windows you have running (as in the ver number provided in the cmd console) i can give you my copy of the file from xp home. id suggest using a pc with the same version to ensure that the file is the same tho!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

but what would that do?

4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

have you had the same problem too or what Fergal?

5. Fergal1982

if its just a case of a missing dll, so long as you have a functioning dll and put it into the right place, it should be just fine. if had similar problems with missing dll's before, albeit in a different windows OS. it should be fine though.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

So if I check my Win XP CD I should be able to find the dll file on their and hopefully put that file back then it should be ok?

7. Fergal1982

yep. should work, just make sure you put the dll in the right location!

8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

and im being thick again but where would that be exactly?

9. Fergal1982

just searching my system now for it - are you sure its called gsnami.dll ???

10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Yeah thats exactly it...I will check again when I get home but im sure its that.

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

File checker. Go to a command prompt, and type: sfc /scanonce

Then reboot, and Windows will run through all system files. This requires your XP CD.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

so I got to command prompt first type in sfc /scanonce then reboot the system and and put the CD in and it will scan the whole CD for the file...sounds like a decent move but lets see what Fergal comes up with.

13. Fergal1982

i agree with jak on this one, if you actually have the windows cd, thats the one to go for. had completely forgotten about that command! it'll scan the windows directory to ensure that all the files windows actually NEEDS are where they should be and not corrupt, then it will take them off the cd and into the appropriate place.

theres one problem with this system though: recovery cd's. any system which gives you the recovery cd and NOT the windows install cd's, then it'll screw you right up! cause the recovery cd isnt valid for the file checker, grrrrr.

Fergal

14. adam_wood1234

adam_wood1234 Bit Poster

Hi Noel, I was wondering if you have installed any Windows updates or anything like that. My Windows XP Pro logon screen adopted the 2000/NT version after installing the Admin Pack from Win Server 2003.

WIP: A+ & Network +
  15. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well like I said earlier Adam..I have done many updates but this has been on my screen since about Feb this year...so I dont really wana do a system restore...I am going to give what Jak and Fergal said a try and by the Fergal my CD is the full version and not a recovery...you forget I built my own system...:D

16. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

just cought up with this one and I can add no other advice that FOLLOW JAKS ADVICE.

That is standard XP Stuff

Try it, you'll be suprised

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  17. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Yeah I did...and I am not surprised as to how big my IQ really is!!! :rolleyes: I thought it was a missing file when in fact the file is located on my system in the System32 folder thats part of program that was apparently installed on Jan 21 2004. now first of all the filename is in fact called GINAMSI.DLL and even worse I dont know which flaming program its from...and what makes it even more worse is that I cant delete the blasted thing....aaarrrggghhh!!!!:x :x :x

18. Fergal1982

ok, its apparently something to do with MSI????? dont know if that program rings a bell with you. or possibly lockbox, something like that! apparently uninstalling it should fix it, if it makes sense to you.

ill keep looking tho
    Fergal

EDIT:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_FixLogon.zip

apparently this file might help. though i cant verify its safety, etc.

19. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Thanks Fergal I'll take a look and I do know what you mean with MSI..i have installed every program from the MSI drivers CD so maybe this is whats doing it..i'll have a check too...

20. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Fergal count yourself lucky I am not a woman otherwise I would be writing stuff that would get me banned from the certforums for life...It only flaming worked and I uninstalled Lockbox too...mate you are a genius...we have to meet up so I can buy you a drink to say thanks....:biggrin 3 cheers for Fergal

Hip hip....hooray!
    Hip hip....hooray!
    Hip hip....hooray!

and one for luck(you always do)
    Hip hip....hooray!