Win Server 2003 R2 License Key

Discussion in 'Software' started by LukeP, Jul 12, 2009.

1. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I have Win Server 2003 installation that needs to be activated in 30 days. However I can't seem to be able to find non-R2 versions of Win server 2003 for sale on the web. Will license key from R2 version let me register and activate non-R2 version?

edit: I just found this: http://www.itdiscounts.co.uk/showitem.php?item_id=1030&gclid=CN_Om5juz5sCFd4B4wodQhE2LA. Will it do the job? I have installation media so I need a license only.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What kinda media did you use mate? OEM? Volume License? Technet? etc.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I have OEM media of Windows Server 2003 Standard. And I'm just about to buy Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard retail/boxed version. Thing is that I have already started deploying server on virtual machine using OEM media of non-R2 version (I totally forgot there was a R2 version) just to speed things up.
    It's not that much of a problem as I haven't done that much yet so I can just start over with R2 version being installed on virtual machine.
    I'm just wondering if I could type R2 serial into non-R2 version and activate it?

4. Sparky

It would be surprised if it would work, can you not just use the key you got with the OEM CD? Each time I have installed R2 there is two CDs, the first is just Windows 2003 standard and the second has the R2 technologies.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

The key I have is used on server I am migrating. Installation went fine but I can't activate as the other server is activated. Obviously when I finish the migration the old server won't be online anymore so will I be able to activate it then?

6. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Hmm, I dont think there is a key difference between non-R2 and R2.. like Sparky said.. R2 is an additional CD

The only differences I know of are between OEM, Retail and VLE.. then for each of those, 32bit / 64bit.

So really you should be fine with an OEM key with the same bit edition.

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  7. Sparky

When you try to activate it do you get a "This product has already been activated etc." type error message?

8. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Thanks Sparky and dazza786

Yeah, something like that.

Just to clarify:

I have DC running on OEM version of Win 2003 Std. I want to move this server on Hyper-V platform. I decided to redeploy the domain as I want to make everything ready for merging other domains into my main one. So I took OEM disk and installed another instance of Win 2003 Std on VM. This new instance needs to be activated. I understand I have 3 options now:

1. Get everything moved in 30 days (before activation deadline) and than take the old server off the network and activate. (Will I be able to activate it then?)
    2. Get another copy of Win 2003 Std (I will need 2 more copies anyway so it's not really an issue) and use the new key on the migrated server then when migration is done take off the old server and move it to another branch (and redeploy using it's original key).
    3. Same as option 2 but instead of using new key on the old install, I'd reinstall the newly bought OS and use provided keys and all that.

Option 3 seems to be most reliable and straight-forward. With option 1 I am worried that I'll get everything done, offline the server, and I still won't be able to activate the new instance. This will cause some problems because instead of 30 days to solve an issue I will have a lot less time.
    What to do?

9. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

I know the MS license activation number off by heart :rolleyes:

They sometimes switch the key options around just to annoy you..

*3/4 minutes into the call*
    'On how many computers is thi...'
    then I try to be clever pressing what usually is 'one computer' before hearing the options
    '...Sorry.. you may only have this installed on .. ONE .. computer.. goodbye! *hangs up*'

:cry::cry:

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  10. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Define 'something like that.' :p

Well it sounds as though it has accepted your key for installation, which means you should have no problem activating it. There isn't any heartbeat or connection to microsoft which tells them that server X is online with X key.. so you should be fine with activating it on the 'same key on more than one machine' front!
    BUT.. I don't know the T's & C's of the licensing. The only reason I can think of the activation server rejecting your request is if the hardware is significantly different or you have activated that key too many times.. But eitherway: if you choose the 'telephone an operator' option, providing it's legal for you to reinstall that key on a new machine, the operator at the other end of the phone should be able to generate you a key which will activate your server.
    Just tell them that the old server has been flattened.

11. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

[​IMG]

I will not use them 2 servers in production at the same time. However before the migration is finished they both will be online for testing purposes. Is that ok with Microsoft? Can I call them and tell them that. I don't really want to lie that the old one went bust when it's still online.

12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Just something to think about, as far as I am aware the OEM licence you have for the original server will be non transferable, ie it's strictly for use with the hardware it was originally installed on. How that would be affected if you were to virtualise the server I'm not sure.

As for R2 keys working with non R2 copies of Server 2K3. I don't know if they are interchangable, but we did get different keys from MS for our different versions. Fortunately we use VLK editions of Server 2K3, so we don't have to worry about avtivation.

No getting away from that with Server 2K8 though. Then again setting up a KMS server was pretty straight forward, so we don't have to manually activate our 2k8 servers any more.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  13. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

According to microsoft website http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302806

Just click on telephone and give those guys a call.. They're on 'follow-the-sun' support so you should be able to get through now. If you tell them the other server is still up as you need to replicate it to the new server, they should be fine and give you an activation key?

If not then you'll have to use one of your new keys and use the old one on a different server:wink:

14. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Thank for advice guys. I just spoke to Indian female at Microsoft side (which for a change I could understand clearly :thumbleft) and there was no problem at all. I said I am virtualizing the server and I got given new activation number without problems.

It's all sorted now. Thanks again guys.

BTW: Nice of them to provide such service on sundays. Do they know we don't have a time off?

15. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Told ya :biggrin

'Around-the-sun(or world)' support is quite useful... offers a 24hr support window by employing team of support agents in each continent.. (i think? somebody with ITIL v3 correct me if I'm wrong lol)

16. Sparky

Thats IT isnt it? 25/7 support! :biggrin