Win Server 2003 books?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by noelg24, Sep 28, 2006.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Can anyone please recommend a good starter book for Win Server 2003, since installing it on VPC, I am starting to get worked up about it in a good way. Basically, I need to know how to manage Active Directory or create a File Server, assign DHCP and DNS, Remote Access and all that. I need to get started on something like this to get me teeth into it for when I start me new job. At the moment, I am still wrestling with the whole networking thing. It seems both Win 98SE and Win Server 2K3 are having trouble finding my real network on my host machine with XP Pro and its the networking side I need to get right, so to speak.

So a good book, with nothing too fancy, just your basic stuff to start off with and we will see where it takes me. Oh and also a book on Virtual PC itself...thank you all :biggrin

Now I am off to bed...(why do I always keep myself up so late?) :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

For what you want I would look no further than the wonderful Master Visually Windows Server 2003.

It's written by our very own technical writer Trip, so what could be better? 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Thanks for that Bluerinse...by the way Simon Graham...lol...I like the review? What you after from Trip like? hehe...

By the way Trip...any chance of a discount? :biggrin

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Now go to bed!

5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Sorry for the slight thread hi-jack, but can someone recommend me a good book for Small Business Server 2003? I have had a quick skim through the MS Book in PC World but makes for very dry reading.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well SBS is basically Server 2003 on steroids, so the same book will help you get acquainted perfectly with the underlying OS.

Trying to Jam SQL, ISA, Exchange and Server 2003 in one book might not be the best idea.

7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Ohmigash, people are still reading that thing???? :biggrin

It would cost more to ship a copy from the US to the UK than it would to buy it from amazon.co.uk. I have a few of my author's copies left but in my mind, the book is "old news". I've been pretty well focused on my latest book plus I've been thrilled to be asked to write book reviews for Linux Magazine. I've also been studying more html, css, and javascript thanks to my job at Micron and have been expanding my skill sets in that direction.

I recently reviewed the book Ubuntu Unleashed at The Linux-Tutorial and actually got an email from one of the authors asking for my "in-depth" opinion of the book. The publisher emailed me today and asked if she could use a quote from my review on Amazon and other retail sites.

I have to be careful not to get a swelled head over all of this, however I am well pleased with how things seem to be going.

Oh...I guess I just hijacked this thread. What were we talkng about again?

:oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

lol...Win Serve 2003 mate...no worries I will certainly buy it very very soon...so long as it gets me started thats all I want...:biggrin

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Thanks, Pete. :blush:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Just ordered my copy, seems like a good book, and £11 is a great price :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

have read a few pages so far and its all good...but now with me A+ over the horizon have to leave this for now :biggrin