Will you still recommend CompTIA?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, Jan 14, 2010.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'm not disgracing their memory, they stood up for points of principal they believed in in a non violent manner.

They didn't know the long reaching positive effects they would have on society when they started their actions. They did it because they saw something they thought was wrong.

I said it in response to your trite remark that two wrongs don't make a right, well clearly sometimes they do ?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

Indeed, I understand that but I don't see the point in people getting pi55ed off about something when you don't have the power to change what they've done. It's a waste of time getting worked up about it in my opinion, people should just move on. :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, NVQ3, ADITP.
    WIP: Server+ and a nice break?
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, that just makes it a bigger kick in the teeth though. Even though I will not recertify I am legally not able to put on my CV that have passed the A+ a few years ago when it was a “cert for life”. Not exactly fair is it?

To be honest I don’t see the number of people taking the A+ dropping that much but I would be surprised if many recertify unless their employer pays for it.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Please, John, read my post carefully. Even if they don't REQUIRE it, they could very well prefer it... even if they don't list it. Consider an employer who doesn't know what the A+ is. You list it on your CV, and your competition does not. The employer, if he's worth his salt, will say to himself, "Eh, wot's this? The A+ certification? Wot's that all about?" And he'll research it... potentially giving you the edge.

Or, the shoe could be on the other foot, and your competition could have it while you attempt to do without the certs. That's your choice.

Perhaps, but I wouldn't bet on it. It's expensive to create a certification program. That's why the CompTIA certifications are so expensive... not because CompTIA wants to roll in piles of money, but because it's not cheap.

So why are CompTIA certifications more expensive than Microsoft and some Cisco certifications? Because CompTIA has no other revenue stream. Microsoft and Cisco likely run their certification programs at a loss just so they can build up an army of certified techs who act as Microsoft and Cisco sales proponents. Thus, they make their money off of hardware and software sales. CompTIA has no software or hardware to sell... they just have their cert programs.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Glad I didn't disappoint you. :D

6. BosonMichael

I agree, it's not. Totally sucks for those who entered into their certifications with the belief that they would be lifetime certs.

I wouldn't be surprised if CompTIA reverses their decision to grandfather in the lifetimers, much as Microsoft reversed their decision to decertify MCSEs on NT4.

Yep, that sums up my thoughts exactly.

Perhaps CompTIA feels that, at worst, it's a break-even proposition for them - that they're no worse off - and at best, a bunch of people will recertify. But I think they underestimate the impact that techs have with influencing other techs... there's a chance this could bite them in the butt.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. BosonMichael

But you see my problem either way, right? :)

8. Sparky

I don’t think we are getting worked up. It’s a “WTF?!?” moment for me as I was surprised when CompTIA announced this with no real consideration for the people who have already taken the exams.

I would either rebrand the A+\Network+ as a new version or perhaps state that people who pass the exam have to list the exam code so clued up employers would know when the A+ was taken.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
    Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. BosonMichael

Eh, continue to argue the point, D. Like I said, you've been itching for the fight. :rolleyes:

10. GiddyG

I did read it carefully Michael. Thank you. :rolleyes:

11. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

Yeah I understand Sparky it is kinda "OMG" oh well... i'm gunna go study my MCDST for tomorrow. :biggrin:rolleyes:

Peace.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, NVQ3, ADITP.
    WIP: Server+ and a nice break?
  12. GiddyG

I don't see the problem as yours, rather it needs Cisco to come up with a name for the certification that does not imply Entry level, as in step through the door and configure RIP v2.

13. Sparky

Nice one mate. :thumbleft

14. BosonMichael

dingdingding! We have a WINNER! ;)

15. BosonMichael

Didn't mean to offend you... but I did make that distinction in my previous post. :)

16. GiddyG

Thanks. Posting/emails are never the best media when the debate is emotive, as the way things are written can be taken the wrong way. :)

I get the feeling you're playing devil's advocate... I say get pi$$ed with CompTIA, and leave them come on here and defend themselves. :D

I don't see them rushing onto CF, or any of the other forums I frequent, to offer up an apology or strong defence of their new policy on the three certs currently affected. The only piece I've heard is the soundbite linked either on here or on Techexams. Basically, it was a load of ****.

The biggest issue I have is, as I've said previously, the unilateral way they've just cut lifetime to three years. I want to make sure other people know how they operate. It may be above the law, because it's their certification policy; however, I believe that morally, they have a duty to their existing 'user base'. If they can do it with us, then they can do it with others. If prospective CompTIA exam takers, knowing what they are like, still want to take their (currently way overpriced) certs, then I've no problem with that, because they then do that with the background knowledge given on CF and other forums.

17. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

I think I would still recomend the A+ as a starting poiint, especially to study the material for the exam. But im not sure I would recommend people to take the actual exam.

It one of those things thats nice to bring up at interviews, to state the A+ certifies your knowledge of PC hardware etc................but as stated previously, here in the UK, recruiters tend to dribble more if you state anything with "Microsoft" in the title compared to "Comptia".

Its a shame, because despite what the A+ may have meant to UK recruiters, or whatever. It actually meant something to me, knowing I had it for life. It was nice to think that I could gain a little list of life certs, which would stay with me forever, something no one could take away from me Something whih I had achived and not messed up for once:D

Yeah I know I know, the knowledge, the experiences, stay there forever..............but I worked hard for that cert, i deserved that cert and I thought it was for life.

So thanks Comptia:) Im not bitter, I just feel like someone has kicked me in the goolies...........very hard.

Anyhow Ill have real fun informing some of my colleagues at work about this, the ones who are A+ certified, and who Im guessing didnt know about this....................

Which brings me onto this

Does anyone know if this "change" in policy will be relayed to Comptia certfiied people in the post? I hadnt checked into certforums since before this change, and knew absolutely nothing about it until yesterday...........how many others dont know?

I had a brief look on the Comptia Website, but felt sick within a few mins...........so apologies if it is on there

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  18. BosonMichael

That's like taking college classes and not getting the degree.

19. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I would say you will have more chance winning a triple rollover lottery on a Tuesday than CompTIA relating this slight change to people in the post. The basic fact they can't be arsed to reply to emails so there is no chance they will write to everyone. They will let it filter through meaning people will be blissfully unaware they are no longer certified. This might be a shock when people try to use their certs as a elective for MSCA/MCSE and find they can't.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  20. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Point taken but then again universities don't take your degree off you 3 years after you passed it.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011