Will Virtual Server help my MCSE?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by TOFFEEMAD, May 8, 2005.

1. TOFFEEMAD

TOFFEEMAD Bit Poster

I introduced myself a few weeks back and have since, deliberately, sat back and read through loads of discussion topics to try and help me make an informed decision who to do my MCSE with.

What it really boils down to is training material. I passed my A+ with a Mike Meyers book in my palm (not for the exam though!!) and found it an excellent study tool. However.....I recently built my first computer and to be quite honest I struggled. It's ok memorising pages of facts and taking practise tests until 99 percent is a disaster, but you cant beat practical on-the-job training. Computeach have got me interested with the premise of access to a 'Virtual Server' ( I Think?) and NITLC have promoted their Microsoft Press materials and other books.

The 'seemingly' more innovative Computeach material sounds promising and I have been informed that the Microsoft exams are going down a more practical route (Better take my ESD wrist strap).

I would really like to hear from anyone who has studied MCSE with Computeach and used their software. I am going to go with one of these companies and I want the best study material for my money. Thanks everyone!

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: MCSE
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You're right.
    Microsoft are introducing a more 'hands on' approach to examinations. There will still be multiple choice questions, but some will simulate a scenario and ask you to work through it. These new questions are less forgiving than the others (you get one shot at them and can't review your answer).
    These are being rolled out for the 2003 MCSE route, and make it more difficult for people who have just read the book to pass the exam.
    Microsoft virtual PC is a useful tool here. I don't know if any of the training providers offer it, but it allows you to build a virtual system on your machine using the appropriate disk image. So you can run Windows Server without having to have a seperate box. I've got one at home and it's great because you can't break it. If you totally **** things up, you can just replace the image with a backup.
    There's loads more info on this on the Microsoft site.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. TOFFEEMAD

TOFFEEMAD Bit Poster

Thanks Jonny, I wouldn't be surprised if this sets an example for exams to come and separates those with a good memory from those with genuine problem solving skills. I will make a point of asking the Computeach rep when I see him.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: MCSE