Will these certifications get me anywhere?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Duah, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Duah

Duah New Member

Hi, I'm new, but not new, to the IT field. I've been working on and building PC's since 2004, so after losing my job in customer service I decided to finally move forward in the IT field. I am in a technical school at the moment to help receive my certificates as well as a technical diploma. At this time I do have my A+ which I received roughly 2 months after I started school and I'm currently about 40% done with my networking with Labsim, and I plan to atleast get my Security+ certification prior to leaving school. I've worked hard in school being nominated for outstanding student of the year, I will be representing my school in the computer hardware maintenance division in Skills USA, as well as being elected tech club president. I've maintained a 4.0 with perfect attendance as well as interning with our PC services department, and some at Volkswagen. Now with all of this foundation laid as stated I'm looking to get those 3 certifications atleast while I'm in school. Will these actually meet minimum requirements for a job as a Network Administrator? Most of what I've seen you need an AAS or in most cases a BA in Information Systems just to start in entry level Networking.

PS: Before anyone says anything about me going to school for this, I'm actually getting paid to go to school via grants. My school cost roughly $1000 a semester and I actually get roughly $5k in grants a semester.

PPS: I also plan on getting my MCSE and CCNA either through a bootcamp or self study after school.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
    Certifications: Testout PC Pro(lol), Comptia A+
    WIP: Network+, Security+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

In most cases no – you generally need experience to be a network admin.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. parman05

parman05 Byte Poster

I think they will help and ccna and MCSE will help more but experience is key unless your the only one applying.

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCTS WIN7 (70-680), MCITP WIN7 (70-685), MCSA WIN7, Linux +,LPIC-1, Novell CLA 11, SUSE 11 Tech Spec, DC Tech Spec
    WIP: 70-640, 70-642, security +, CCNA
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Now this I disagree with, yes the MCSE and CCNA are great for advancing your career, if you have the experience to back it up. Certainly the MCITP\MCSA 2008 require you to have a minimum of 12 months real world experience with the technologies before attempting the exams, without that experience you're either extremely lucky or brain dumping.

Get some real world experience under your belt, use the exams for what they are meant for (proving your experience with the technology) rather than trying to use them to get further into IT.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Has anyone else noticed the 'rediculous' quote on the Microsoft Learning homepage?

Under the title "Learn the benefits of certification"

Sort of throws their whole ethos of experience first, study later right out the window!

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...