Will the MCDST switch to Windows 7?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Davidh1819, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Davidh1819

Davidh1819 Nibble Poster

Does anyone think the MCDST will switch to Windows 7 anytime soon if ever well lets face it it wont be XP forever will it :(:(

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Well, it will be Windows XP for a looooooooong time though so still worth getting XP certs on your CV.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The MCDST won't switch to anything; Windows XP is the only OS that will ever be a part of the MCDST. The equivalent certification for Vista is called the MCITP: EST.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I have posted about Windows 7 exams and tracks, two such threads can be seen here and here (there are more).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

So it looks like there might be an upgrade from MCDST to the Windows 7 certs?

6. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Yes i think that will be the case

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  7. BosonMichael

Actually, I doubt that there will be, because there's never been an upgrade that skipped products before. There's an upgrade from the MCDST (XP) to the MCITP: EST (Vista)... so there will likely be an upgrade from the MCITP: EST on Vista to the MCITP: EDA7 (Windows 7).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. Kitkatninja

There is going to be an upgrade exam & it will be applicable to both MCDST's & MCITP: EST (Vista):

70-682 Upgrading to Windows 7 MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support Technician

[​IMG]

You do also have to complete the HDI component in order to achieve the MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7 credential.

However it does not look like the upgrade exam applies to the new tier 3 MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator for Windows 7, just the MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support Technician for Windows 7.

-ken

EDIT: So far MS has not released any information regarding upgrades from MCDST/MCITP: EST to MCITP: EDA7, plus I have not heard anything yet about the MCITP: CST to if there is going to be a MCITP: CST7.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  9. BosonMichael

Wow, amazing! Even Microsoft skips Vista and goes straight for Windows 7! :twisted: :p

10. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

i wouldn't be surprised if there was something like the 70-621 which allows fast track to MCITP Enterprise Support (Vista). Its basically covers the two exams in one.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  11. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

So was i correct then lol

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  12. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Microsoft have extended their support for XP until 2014 see here so I don't think there will be a mad rush to get Windows 7. I think it will probably be a slow transition between the two.

I really want to finish my MCDST and get the Windows 7 cert done early next year, so I really home they make the upgrade option simple.

Are others looking at doing the Windows 7 cert soon?

13. Davidh1819

Davidh1819 Nibble Poster

Yes i plan to get MCDST A+ N+ maybe MCTS 7 Config then move into Server Certifications

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP
  14. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

If/when I feel not having the W7 cert is hampering my career prospects, I'll do it. As you point out though, the transition will probably be slow so it won't be any time soon.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  15. Kitkatninja

I will be (again, as I failed the Win7 beta exam), however not in the immediate future. Probably next year and only the MCITP: EDA7 (and the incorporated MCTS), the one that does not require the HDI exam.

-Ken

16. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I've decided to take the MCTS:Vista rather than the upgrade from the MCDST simply to spend less time on it.
    I've not installed Windows 7 yet, but I'm going to study the 70-680 within the next couple of months, maybe the 70-682 depending on the overall cost.