Will Microsoft ever get secure?

Discussion in 'News' started by SimonV, Sep 23, 2003.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

[​IMG]<font size="3">Will Microsoft ever get secure? </font>

It must be tough to be the largest software company in the world. Everyone's always trying to exploit every little hole in your applications and every little mistake you make gets played up in the media. On the other hand, your software is in so many homes and offices across the world that you directly or indirectly touch the lives of millions, if not billions, of people.

With that popularity, though, comes a responsibility not only to call attention to any flaws in your products that might adversely affect your customers, but also to build products from the ground up that are secure as they can be. Microsoft is improving its track record on the former, but after almost two years of Trustworthy Computing, I've yet to see much progress on the latter.

Let's start with the positives. Since the MSBlast worm appeared last month, the software giant has been on the media offensive, doing its best to make sure everyone knows about a new patch that fixes a newly discovered flaw in Windows. The company even set up a dedicated Web site to help people protect their PCs against worms and other attacks.

News source: ZDnet

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Sandy
      Sandy
      I always fall about laughing when I see the media pic up on this sort of stuff :lol:

What they fail to understand is that out of the box none of the security is active it is up to YOU to a) switch it on b) manage it. All of these worms viruses etc don't stand a chance if you take several simple steps to protect your network

a) lock it down hard
      b) only open the ports that you need
      c) monitor the security web sites
      d) monitor the IP traffic
    2. Jakamoko
      Jakamoko
      Oh, I'd love to see what some of the average Joe Users would do with that advice, Sandy. :roll:

Can you picture it ? Black&Decker drills and padlocks in hand ; filling in any sockets not used on the back of the machine, etc, etc .... :P
    3. Sandy
      Sandy
      I normally use a 4lb hammer

That is why we should be making a mint but most small businesses want IT all done for 75p +vat for a days work - and it don't work like that.

From time to time I am asked to do private work - there is usually a sharp intake of breath when I say I have a call out for of £50 then £30 per hour. I then ask them to call up a local plumber and ask what they charge! Works 90% of the time.
    4. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      Will Microsoft ever get secure? Heck, no...for all the reasons you've mentioned thus far, plus everybody wants to nail MS because it is the target on the internet. Linus Torvalds hasn't angered and annoyed a fraction of the people Bill Gates has. If someone brings down a Linux box, who care? If someone causes MS a headache..."way to go, dude"(not my style, but it probably does appeal to the collective dissatisfaction of the computer using world).
    5. Sandy
      Sandy
      Trip

SCO don't sound a happy bunch of people at the moment :cry: