Will I need to use RAID?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noelg24, Feb 20, 2005.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I am soon to build a new PC for someone, but I am unsure as to whether or not I need to use RAID (be it 0 or 1) I know the advantages and disadvantages of both but is it really needed in a home PC? I mean he wont be using it for anything the likes of what we do, just your basic surf the net, you know the usual...here's his spec so far but not yet completed:

AMD 64 3000 CPU with heatsink and fan
    MSI or Asus Mobo
    1GB DDR PC3200 RAM
    120GB SATA HDD
    16x DVD Writer
    CD-RW/DVD drive combo
    500watt PSU
    Antec case with side window (same as mine)
    128MB ATI 9200SE AGP card
    17" TFT LCD monitor

So thats it so far...but all I want to know is whether or not I need RAID for the HDD as I always thought with SATA drives you need to use RAID but I guess thats not the case...thanks guys..

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It's an interesting question. It would never occur to me to set up a RAID configuration on a home PC. Usually, you don't need that sort of protection for typical home user activities. You might want to tell the user to make sure to back up all the files they can't live without periodicly, tho...just to be on the safe side. You could even set up a separate partition for the user to store just their data on and make backups really easy.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

RAID with just one HDD - now that would be a neat trick !!! [​IMG]

Agree with Trip - create a separate partition for backups, and if need be schedule ntbackup.exe to run as required.

HTH :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. syntax_error

syntax_error Bit Poster

raid 0 (striped) is point less for general home computing, the only benefits is that better read/write performance it doesn't have any type of fault tolerance. As for mirrored (raid 1) I know win2kpro don't support it so I would image that xppro (which I'm assuming you are going to use) doesn't support it either.

Certifications: mcp server2k
    WIP: Network Infrastructure
  5. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

High-end gaming rigs generally have RAID 0 to squeeze out a couple more performance percents, which I don't think is relevant here. RAID 1 seems a bit over the top for backup on a home PC!

I've not heard anything about SATA having to be in a RAID configuration.

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

no raid is required
    just out of curiosity, why is the guy paying for a gig of ram to surf the net? lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Thanks guys now I know what to do...Phoenix, lets just say the guy is loaded!!! I can see the ££££ signs everywhere now...:D

8. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Not bein funny noel, but just cause the guy has money, doesn't neccesarely mean you should build him a high end machine for low end uses like surfing the net.

Really, you could probably put 512 in there, and that would still be plenty for him. At the moment, most non-IT home user's (excluding gamers of course) are still using 256, they don't rerally need any more to surf the web and play solitaire.

I'm just saying, don't overkill cause the guy has money (unless he want's you too overkill!!), build him a machine that will fit his needs, for a good price. If you ask me, that's what part of IT is, if you work in the "sales" side, judging and adapting to your customers needs, not what you think they need.

That way, he'll tell other's, maybe leading to more business for you. [​IMG]

Anyway, just my 2p

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I agree with Punkboy, too many techs pull stints like that, and it only serves to alienate what could be potential clients
    give him what he needs, dont take him for a ride

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The flip side of the coin is that rich folks who can afford it often want more than they need. Kind of an ego thing. Having a big hard drive and lots of RAM is "sexy". Kind of like having a car with far more horsepower than you'd ever need...a status thing. :P

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Trip is right...I aksed the guy what he wanted and he told me, so I aint judging him just by the size of his wallet...but it dont matter now cos aint gonna happen...why? well he was going out with my sister-in-law and I just found out tonite that they split up!! I am going to kill her! no only kidding but i knew at some point they would split up, their both in the RAF but she's based in Northern Ireland and he's in London...so come on guys you couldnt expect that one to last very long could ya? still they could have waited til I built the PC, the money would have come in handy for a new AGP card and more RAM for my little baby!!!

But I dont take people for a ride...when people ask me to build them a system I always ask them what they want and how much they wanna spend....but if someone said 'here's £900, just build me something for that price', I can work with that, providing they give me the basics and whatever I feel they need I will put it in and if I feel they dont need it then I dont put it in. Then I charge them for time it takes to build it and the delivery too which includes the distance so for example if someone wanted a system for £500 and they live in Edinburgh, I will charge an extra of between £80 and £100. gotta cover the costs of what your using...ie delivery company and time spent building it. surely you lot can agree. my basic rate is £60 in the Aberdeenshire area and the price goes up the more people pay and further the distance. so it does vary from time to time.