Wildcards in AD

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by Fergal1982, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Is there a wildcard for searching in AD for users, groups etc?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

going to start > search > for people > look in: active directory, and then entering the first letters of the name or whatever, will give you a list, so there's no need for a wildcard.
    so if i were to search for you i would enter: fer, not fer*. the wildcard is actually blank.

3. Fergal1982

that only works if you know what the entry starts with. doesnt work with program groups where you know one of the words in the group name, but not how it starts

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

go to advanced, where you can define search criteria. you've got "contains", "sounds like", "ends with", etc.

5. Fergal1982

All i've got in Advanced (when i pick the appropriate setting, eg group>>name) is
    Starts
    Ends
    Is (exactly)
    Is not
    Present
    Not Present

nothing which seems to be contains. and none of them seem to do the job im looking for. hmmmm

6. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

well now, it looks like you're using aduc (active directory users and computers), right? not the search tool.
    okay then, right click domain name, select find, drop down the menu find (where it now says users, contacts, and groups), select custom search, go to advanced and enter an ldap query, like for instance:

(&(objectcategory=user)(name=*fer*))

7. Fergal1982

lol found another way actually - exporting the list to a csv file and opening in excel. bit convoluted, but it works.

Fergal

8. ARRISckent

ARRISckent New Member

I am unable to find any wildcards that work in ADUC. Using this post today, I found that d-Faktor is right. To search for the second half of a User's name in ADUC, you will need to go to the Advanced tab in the search window. Choose the “User” field desired from the pulldown menu and follow it to the right with your cursor to select either First Name or Last Name. Select "End" or “Ends with” as the Condition. Then type in your text in the “Value” field. Click the “Add” button to move this query to the “Condition List” and then hit “Find Now” to search.
    If you do this and search on "berto", it will bring up Alberto, Roberto, Humberto, etc. It works for Group Names as well as Users if you select Group at Field and type in the last part of the group's name. If it does not work with your ADUC, your Admins may not have this feature activated. I am unable to use "Present" or "Not Present" successfully in our ADUC.

9. HarlesBarkley

HarlesBarkley New Member

Yikes, 11.5 years since original post!

Have you tried using the "Is (exactly)" condition, in combination with the * wildcard? Works fine for me.

For example:
    Name Is (exactly) *Fergal*

Trezore likes this.
  10. Trezore

Trezore New Member

11.5 years and thanks to you something valid! And an example! Thank you!

11. WS/FCS JimM

WS/FCS JimM New Member

Where * matches one or more characters, any wildcard that matches only one character?
    Many thanks!