wifi signal

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by misanthrope, Dec 4, 2008.

1. misanthrope

misanthrope Bit Poster

i have a wired adsl modem (Netgear DG834) which is connected to my PC. i have just bought an ipod touch which needs a wifi signal, what is the easiest way to create this?

the modem is only about a year old & i have all my portforwarding setup so i'd be reluctant to ditch it for a wireless equivalent. can i connect some kind of adaptor into one of the spare ethernet ports on the modem to transmit a wifi signal? i have no intention of getting a laptop so it's just for light internet access & email when i'm downstairs & away from the PC.

thanks.

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

What you are looking for is an 'Access Point'. Not so common in the domestic world as ADSL routers, but findable in Tottenham Court Road and the mag adverts.

Sometime they are available in the second-hand mags.

Expect to pay about £40 to £50 for one new. The slightly high price is because the 'sales volume' isn't there to help lower the price.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. flounder10

flounder10 Nibble Poster

I have recently purchased one of these as my other router gave up the ghost, but this also doubles as an access point too.

There is a little switch at the rear of the unit to choose either router or AP modes. I paid £39.99 from good old Argos :p

WIP: Net+, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, CCNP
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster