Problem Wifi problems at home, can anyone offer advice?

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by shadowwebs, Jul 13, 2015.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I'm using a DSL-2680 dlink router

My laptop and desktop pc's which are both running Windows 8.1 are getting really awful wifi speeds, even though they're getting full signal strength. If I connect my laptop or desktop in through Ethernet then i'm getting a 17mb connection (as expected)... If I use wifi then i'm getting about 0.5mb connection.

Now the interesting part is that if I use an Android phone or Android tablet then the connection via wifi is getting 17mb connection, even if being used directly next to where the laptop is.

I've ensured that wifi drivers are up to date and are compatible with the router, and so this brings the question of whether it's just Windows 8.1 that could be the problem? Are there any settings that can be recommended for me to look at?

Yesterday I decided to reset the laptop back to factory settings due to other problems on the laptop and it's made no difference to the wifi connection.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

very odd mate, if you know what you're looking for check your logs out on your laptop, eventvwr.msc. It could be an update or something. When you say you've reset your laptop back to factory settings, did this remove everything you'd installed or just reset your settings? You might have malware or something. Run a full AV scan. Run Msconfig and have a look if you're happy with everything that starts when your laptop starts. From your laptop go onto speedtest.net and see what that says. Is anyone watching HD video on netflix or similar. Have you given your wifi password to anyone? Go onto your routers ip and check connected devices although dont worry if not everything looks familiar, smart TVs etc can sometimes come up with strange names. Is it definitely your internet connection or does your HDD light stay on? Disk thrashing will also make it perform like a dog

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. shadowwebs

I just ran a speedtest now on the desktop PC which is very close to the router, we're talking about 3 metres away... it got a 1.75mb download connection. I'll take a look through the logs but yeah it was a full reset so everything was gone and then it just put back on the standard HP image where I've then gone ahead and uninstalled all the bundled rubbish it comes with.

I saw a video on youtube that said about looking in gpedit.msc and enabling the bandwidth limit through QoS settings but then change it to use 100% of the bandwidth as otherwise the system will only use 80%... essentially this made no difference as speedtest.net then reported the download rate was so bad that it even timed out, eventually coming back with a rate of 0.36mb.

My ISP are saying all is ok from their end which would say it's something here in the house, but when the Android devices work fine, it just says it's got to be a Windows issue. I'll check through the logs, but to answer your other question, there's no one watching any HD content or using Netflix as the connection has been too crappy to try lately.

C:\Users\James>ping 8.8.8.8

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=1115ms TTL=56
    Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=577ms TTL=56
    Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=93ms TTL=56
    Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=758ms TTL=56

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. shadowwebs

I disabled the firewall in Windows and it's made no difference to speed, so at least I know that's not the cause.

I checked in the router settings and the only devices connected are those that I would expect to be... it gives no option for me to boot them off so that they get a new IP, although when I do 'ipconfig /renew' on the PC or Laptop, they get no better connection.

5. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

you could try and use software like Inssider to check if there are less crowded channels you could use.

Try and test the bandwith within your local network - copy a couple of gigs worth between devices and see if the speed is stable, is it considerably better than internet browsing speed?

Has it always been like this? you could try and find older drivers for your network cards. Also check if there is updated firmware for the router.

Not likely to be an issue but see if you can find the antennae connectors in the laptop, check if they are firmly in.

6. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Ooofff that is dire mate. I would go into device manager and see what make and model your wifi hardware is, download the latest driver from the vendor. Uninstall the present driver then add it back in saying "have disk" and point it to your download. Fingers crossed. After what you've written I'm fairly convinced its the driver on 8.1 specifically.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. shadowwebs

I have just brought back a MacBook Pro from work for some studying... and found that even though the internet browsing seems pretty good, the speediest.net showed up as being about 10mb.

8. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Few suggestions..

I would factory reset the router, flash the firmware and then put in your ISP details. After that create a new SSID and connect your laptop only and run a speed test.

If the speed it still naff try changing the MTU in the WAN interface of the router to 1404 or something like that – probably on 1500 just now.

On the laptop update *all* device drivers. Start with the system board first (chipset) and then your wireless card.

Finally download this

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_view.html

….will tell how many wireless networks are around and could be causing you drama.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. shadowwebs

I've had a look and already running latest version of the firmware... I've checked through the software link you provided and changed the wifi channel to one that's not being used anywhere else and also changed the connection type from where it was already WPA or WPA2, to only use WPA2... so far everything seems to be running faster.

If still no better then next month I can get out of the existing contract with my ISP and will look to grab fibre broadband instead elsewhere... at least that way it'll mean a new router rather than the really old dlink dsl-2680 which talk talk still provide.

10. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good stuff - worth buying a decent router if you migrate to a new ISP.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually rather than firmware I would look at driver versions, I was on a training course recently and throughout the day various people would disconnect from the wireless, turns out that we all had the same intel wireless hardware but were using different driver versions, it happened to be my older version didn't drop off the wireless at all, when people used the older drivers they found that they also worked better.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  12. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Also check and make sure that the public IP you are getting out on is correct. I had real bad tests before but noticed that speed test etc saw me as coming out of Cali, so clearly the speed test and times to the end point in Cali were not really representative of real speeds etc.

Quite rare I think, but worth making a note and paying attention too.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  13. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The only time I have seen that is with a TOR browser being used.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  14. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

It actually happened to me at work, working for a major electronics company, Our IP got placed out in Cali for some weird reason, course cue the complaints of speed because everyone could see in speed net how alow it suddenly looked etc. lol.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!