Wich road to go down... Oracle or MS?

Discussion in 'SQL Exams' started by fatp, Jul 1, 2009.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Hi Guys,

Having looked at going down the Database Administrator / Developer route in IT, i have come to a roadblock... I really wanna learn SQL and have studied a module at university but nothing substantial to give me concrete knowledge so to speak! I only have a basic understanding.

I cant decide whether to go down the "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 MCTS / MCITP (DBA / Developer)" or " Oracle 11G OCA" route.

I know they are both highly thought of RDBM'S, but what to go for?

Any advice would be great!

Cheers.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Not sure what others would think but I think that Oracle and PL/SQL would be the way to go if you want to be a database guy.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Which do you have the opportunity to work with?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Michael,

I have sql server 2005 at work.

5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Then there's your answer - look at SQL Server.

That said, you don't need either of them if you want to learn SQL. Just download a copy of MySQL and learn using that - there are differences in every implementation of SQL, but at a beginners level they are pretty minimal, only having an impact when you start looking at things like transaction processing, stored procedures and whatnot.

Incidentally, SQL Server is a much better bet to learn if you want to be more 'well-rounded'. Learn Oracle and you'll pretty much be an Oracle bod. Learn SQL Server and, because it powers most off the shelf products that need a database (in its Express or MSDE versions) you'll be an expert on the back-end of those products.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Cheers zeb. useful info.

Yeah, the sql server at work is actually used for backend stuff so I cant play around with it, so to speak. Other programs depend on it...

The network manager would have me... if you know what i mean!

fatP

7. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

I'm in the process of downloading mysql. yipee for open source!

Gonna have more than just a play... I'm thinking of creating a call logging system for work. They are creating using rdbms's and I think it'll be a good learnin curve 4 me!

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Exactly this. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Right, well just thougth I'd give an update on my progress.

I decided that before actually choosing a specific SQL implementation either:
    ( MS Sql Server -> T-SQL, Oracle -> PLSQL, IBM DB2 -> SQL/DS )

I would brush on my basic SQL / RDBMS theory. I then got the SQL for Dummies book and am flying through it. Its all coming back to me from the modules I did at uni. DDL/DML/DCL/Normalisation/OLTP/OLAP etc. I have implemented a call management system at work to brush up on my db theory. Stuiff like tables, querys, views, reports, etc. The boss is impressed and will go live in september 09.

I have choose to learn the sql server 2008 platform and certify myself on either the 'Database Developer' or 'Database Administrator' track by first getting the relvant mcts and then mcitp.

10. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Well done m8 ! Good for you !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)