Why work in IT?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Alex Wright, Jan 15, 2008.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

The IT sector is probably, for me anyway, the best sector to be in...not just jobwise but also as a hobby, interest and activity...I love going into work...ever since I started working in IT jobs I have always enjoyed them...i live and breathe computers as anyone who knows me will tell u...I like to keep upto date with the latest technology in terms of computer hardware and software...

Its just a great place to be in

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

I got into IT because I was offered good money to do something I loved. I stayed because I'm a sucker for punishment :biggrin

Seriously I couldn't see myself ever wanting to do something else...

3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I'm in IT because computers started out as a hobby for me too. I figured I might as well try it and who knows I might like it. That's how it all turned out for me, I took a step in deciding what I want to do and went ahead and did it. Now I couldn't be more happier.

I like the fact like many of you mentioned the learning curve, someone who loves learning new things would do well in IT. Money might not be that great but hey I rather have a job which I love then have a job which I make tons of money but extremely dislike.

My goal is to combine IT with Business someday which is my other hobby.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

....because 14 years of leaning over the fenders of cars that run 230 degrees in the 100+ heat of summer sucks. Fall and spring are nice, but then winter kicks in and some other knucklehead leaves the bay door open on a 15 degree day, and in blows all the leaves and trash that gather outside...

IT is ...comfy?:oops:

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'd rather be a movie or a rock star myself.... :oops:

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I got into IT because at the time, it was 'the' revolutionary thing, and I like stuff that changes the world
    The IT Sector, whilst requiring similar skills across the board is a totally different experience depending on the industry that your servicing, IT in the legal world has a totally different set of challenges than IT in the financial world, or medical world

After almost 10 years of jumping between sectors, working in Finance, small business, local and central government, medical, education and various other fields, I know provide my knowledge to ANY sector, and use the experience gained throughout my career to improve my understanding on my clients needs

Every day is a challenge, and every day is a different challenge, that's what keeps me going, and whilst each job has its draw backs, each company you work for has its issues, the work I do, wherever it may be, and who ever it may be for, It's the coolest feeling

Personally I don't deal with end users very often any more, and I tend to get into discussions with Director and C level staff where possible, which for me is a good thing because the end user side was not so much my thing, but I did my time and here I am today :)

IT will still be the world changing industry for the foreseeable future, and whilst massive improvements in the energy and biomedical industries is on the horizon, IT will still be changing the world and adapting long after we have settled on the next big thing in fuel :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0