why so hard?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by steve_p1981, Feb 26, 2011.

1. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

i've been he "IT guy" at work for 2 years, where i set up a P2P network and do all the fault finding and upgrades/ repairs to the computers as well as supporting the staff with printer problems and other software issues. I also have had to set up users and reset passwords / changing permissions using the user and group management console that windows xp pro has built into it (i assume this isn't much different to the way you do it on something like server 2003 but feel free to correct me if i'm wrong). Yet i still can't even get an interview for a 1st line support role! once i've sorted out some bills and have a bit of free money i'l be taking my a+ exams too. I don't kow what else to do, i've applied for over 100 jobs and nothing not even an interview.

any advice of what to do would be great but i'm getting close to throwing in the towel

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

All I can say is don't give up your time will come. It took me 5 years to get into the IT field (so a heck of alot more than 100 jobs I've applied for) and that was well before the recession.

Remember you're up against alot of people for IT jobs, people that include experienced IT Pro's. It could also be that your cover letter & CV needs more work, it could be that some jobs require extra things like a driving licence or Pasma training, etc.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

Took me 8 years with a three year break.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

dont give up since end of jan ive applied for about 375 jobs and had 21 no's yet i still get out of bed in the morning and do the searchs!

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Unfortunately the IT job market in general is very dire at the moment. The trick is persistence as well as being flexible.

Are you applying for contract as well as permanent roles. You'd find you get more responses if you apply for short term contract role and once the job market picks up look for a permanent role.

I would also invest a a good CV/interviewing skills book, see below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Answe...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298723806&sr=1-1

All the best:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

unfortunstely, contract or temp work is out the window as i have a mortgage i need to pay so i need the lovely bill of a grand each month. which does limit me somewhat. but thanks for the encouragement guys

7. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck with the job hunting :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

since you have experience, I'd be looking to your CV as the first likely culprit to be honest. Especially since you cant get an interview - so it's clearly not you.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

Tbh when i was looking for jobs, i was applying to 60-80 jobs every other day. I used to use sites such as jobserve, monster, jobsite, london jobs, reed and i was in contact with a few agencies which helped me get a fair few calls daily.

My advice would be to get a nice cv and apply to a sh%t loads of jobs daily and you're bound to get some response.

Good luck

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  10. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Have you considered travelling? I used reed.co.uk to hunt for jobs and put in my Postcode +30 miles. The vast majority of the jobs I found were in Bristol (I'm in Newport) and the three interviews (two IT, one admin as a backup) I had were all over the bridge.

It's under half an hour to commute and is a far better opportunity that I could ever have had here. If it wasn't for the eye watering £100/month on the Severn Bridge, there wouldn't really be much of a financial impact either.

11. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

I too have a mortgage and need to clear at least a grand a month but im still plodding on at the mo, get the odd days work here and there in the construction game still so thats keepin me tickin over for now while i continue to look and apply!

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sorry, totally misunderstood the title of this thread.

I'll be getting my coat.

:oops:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  13. dblight

dblight Bit Poster

re-work your CV, at the moment with the job market that it is, you need to make sure your stands out above the rest!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
    Certifications: 70-620:Configuring Windows Vista Client
    WIP: 70-640 / 70-642 / 70-646
  14. coolc

coolc Nibble Poster

there are heaps of ppl in this world and forum who got hired without exp or quals,

15. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Your CV might need looking at then mate if you are not getting to the interview stage.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

I will be taking your advice and re typing my CV. A mate of mine told me that his recruitment agency told him to remove his age from it as it makes you more likely to get an interview. not quite sure how that works but i'll give it a go.
    I'm on jobsite, CW jobs, reed, visit job centre plus and gumtree daily and theres another IT that i can't remember and i have a +20 miles on most or 30 if there's the option. Fingers crossed the CV update works. cheers guys