Why open source is growing by leaps and bounds

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, May 3, 2008.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Of course high wages aren't the be-all and end-all of a high standard of living. But, you take away the high paying jobs, do not have a corresponding reduction in the costs of living, and the inevitable result is high debt loads, overall reduction in real wealth, and a huge trade imbalance in which far more money flows out of your country than into it. That's exactly what has happened here in the US in the last 40 years or so. That is not an improvement in the standard of living for the average citizen. That's a reduction in the standard of living for the majority in our country, with a few at the top reaping the profits.

I don't have a problem with a reduction in poverty levels in third world countries. Not at all. But, once again we are not seeing the average citizen in those countries being any better off. All we are seeing is a few at the top making obscene amounts of money. That's all globalization has really done. It's taken the profits out of the hands of the workers who actually produce the products and put it into the hands of fewer and fewer people.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Absolutely. I'm a capitalist at heart, but I am not someone in favor of mega-corporations and obscene profit margins where the little guy is on the short end of the stick at all times.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Freddy the same has happened in England. When i was young, it was commonplace to see labels on goods saying "made in England", these were always high quality goods. Radios, TVs, Cars, Steel, textiles, you name it, it was manufactured in *England* or someplace else in the UK. You even saw little Union Jack flags on consumer goods to promote a sense of pride in our own goods. Nowadays the UK has evolved into a service only sector and very little manufacturing of anything happens there now.

Australia is some ways behind the UK and the US, though unfortunately it is following in the same direction.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)