Why oh why do we succumb to all this ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by UKDarkstar, Sep 2, 2008.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Political correctness, health and safety, nanny state.

I'm seriously thinking of emigrating to the moon !

Apparently kids have been banned from palying "British Bulldog" in playgrounds ! It's too dangerous and needs renaming !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7592648.stm

Whatever next ?! :x

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

"It says the name would have to be less patriotic and aggressive to suit modern tastes and maybe "International Poodles" would be more appropriate.

And children would have to wear full protective body gear, including knee pads, helmets and gum shields."

Coffee just zoomed out of my nose reading that!

I remember playing British Bulldog, and a fun game it was too. Though nothing quite beats the traditional fare such as:

1. Playing football with a tennis ball on the netball courts.
    2. Holding your jacket over your head on windy days to make parachutes.
    3. Watching one of the braver lads hop over the fence and do a runner from school only to be collared about 2hrs later down the shops and hauled back in to class.
    4. A good, old fashioned, traditional BUUUUUUUUNDDDDDLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...and many more fun times. Ahhh school days... :biggrin

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  3. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Britian has gone mad. Being a foster carer you have to attend courses, how about this for political correctness gone mad. Shouldn't ues the fraise stand on your own two feet as it might offend people who do not have two feet.:eek:

WIP: C++ and A+
  4. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Heh, I checked out the comments pages on this article, great idea from someone to change the name of this game so it wouldn't offend anyone

'Multicultural mammal of indeterminate breed and gender'

:D

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

rofl ! :dry

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I hate all this crap it really pisses me off. Political correctness is why lots of things are going wrong in this country. It's the same with health & safety going OTT too.

One Woman from and insurance firm told me I couldn't say my car was a blacky blue colour :blink I said to her but its black on side skirts and dark blue everywhere else, what else do you want me to say. Anyway I can't see how saying blacky blue is offensive to anyone.

At my work now I have to walk in a zig zag pattern from one end of the car park double back half way to get into work because I am not allowed to walk within 50 yards of the loading bay. My argument is I have ears,eyes and legs so if a forklift comes I can hear it, I can see it and if it comes near me I can run out of the way.

Also we are supposed to turn the computers of at night to save electricity "Can you imagine powering down 7 servers at night and then booting them up in the morning"? Dumb managers who get paid too much and don't have a clue.

I just installed new AMD opteron processors, as if I am gonna power them up & down all day long.:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I agree. The world can be a tough place, there is competition everywhere and sometimes you need to stand up for yourself. The generation of kids having to grow up with this wet pansy type of mentality are going to struggle when they leave school and go off in to the world. I played British Bulldog (and I will continue to call it that) and I enjoyed it, I got a few grazes, and I went back for more. Some kids didn't play, it wasn't their thing. What's next, compulsory knitting class?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation