Why NOT to go straight for MCSE

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by kevicho, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

You could say in a way: I have studied how to drive a car, though in real life you have never driven a car. No experiance.

Every day scenarios are different. Without doing I.T. in a real I.T. job and having the experiance of doing it no sensible person is going to want you playing about with their servers.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Don't forget you tailor your CV to the jobs you are applying for, leave off certain things for one job and put them back on for others.

Gone are the days where you can send a "generic" CV to loads of companies and you will get a bite.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Keep it on your CV. I had my MSc on my CV when I first started applying for jobs, took a while but I eventually got a full time IT job.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I couldn't agree more. You absolutely HAVE to think like an employer when analyzing these sort of things.

Repped!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, it's not that at all. However, if I hire you, I don't want you leaving when a better job comes along, and statistically, you will, or you'll ask for more money when I can hire someone to do the same job for less.

Don't misunderstand - I *want* people who have a great deal of technical knowledge. Unfortunately, theoretical knowledge doesn't equal practical knowledge, and you can only gain that practical knowledge by working in IT. After you've been in IT for a little while, you'll realize that what I'm saying is truth.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. gurusapprentice

gurusapprentice Nibble Poster

I like it its a bit like the person who took 4 mins to take a Microsoft exam then went onto a forum to complain that prometric had banned him from their test sites and microsoft had recinded his previous qualifications. I like to see it as more growing into a job having the paperwork is fine as long as you have the experience or if your going to get paperwork first fine but remember experience is everything. Classic example from my own experience, I said to a new neighbour of mine that I worked with computers, and said if he ever had a problem I would help he said he would be ok but thanks. I thought no more about it when he came into my repair shop etc to get some bits we got chatting and I explained all eagerly I had just got a certain qualification he said that was good thought no more about it, I then spoke to my trainer who said oh I know him. Turns out my neighbour quietly going about his business actually worked for himself and the training company used him to train their trainers and prior to that he had been the head of IT for a Major financial institution. How silly did I feel lol.:oops

Certifications: MCSA+Messaging
    WIP: Degree CCNA/CCNP 70-622 MCITP:E e
  7. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

That sounds like what I need to head for regarding your first job in the I.T. field etc following a pass on my upcoming Comptia A+ then MCP and MCDST :D
    I hope to have all those done in no more than 6-8 months.

Would my CV be pushed to one side over other CV's that have academic qualifications in IT?????? where as do not have any academic qualifications in IT what so ever.

I work as a Engineering Recruitment Consultant in a small company roughly 20-30 people so I thought real world job experience maybe goes in my favour as opossed to those fresh graduates who have yet to get the basic job experience???? and I wouldn't include a shelf filler (Sales Advisor) role at asda as a real world job experience :p

I realised before I spoke to the preachy type sales guy from Advent that you can't go straight to a Network Engineer role or Systems administrator role fresh from the certs with no work experience in that relevant I.T. sector, I was prepared from the beggining in terms of what kind of jobs I need to begin with, I cannot express in words how much of an eye opener this thread is in terms of adjusting your CV accordingly for the entry level jobs, I'm now going to take off that bit on my CV that tells the employer I'm working towards my MCSE and MCSA and instead just tell them the certs I'm studying on at present and then I hope my luck could turn around!!!!!!!! fingers crossed :rolleyes:

P.S. on a side note It looks like the "problems and suggestion" forum has been made redundant looking at when the last post was made other than mine a couple of days ago, could a moderator check out my suggestion in that forum please :) the idea I'm hoping is going to go far, Ive only seen it on one forum so far and was really impressed by it, please check it out!!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
    WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  8. S3thz0r

S3thz0r Bit Poster

I was just about to start studying for an MCSE without any other course under my belt.. I had just registered with a company called Neosynergy, after finding this forum and other information I decided to cancel my course [losing my deposit :(] and am instead going to start off with a A+ N+ then a MCDST. Thanks to this forum I probably saved myself a lot of money and wasted time.

WIP: ITIL v3 Foundation
  9. ian5578

ian5578 New Member

At last! someone of sense!!! I'm getting sick of these training companies telling me to do MCSE and MCSA and i'll easily get a job 30k per anum, they must thinnk we're eejits!! have a quick glance at cwjobs.co.uk, 9/10 of the entry level posistions aren't even asking for A+, which is as everyone knows the entry level. They're all looking for at least a years experience though.

So, a cautionary tale to anyone starting out in IT;

Don't believe the likes of skillstrain, ICS, Home college Learning (i hate these people with a passion:x) etc, i'm sure theres one or two reputable TPs out there, but i've yet to come across one (firebrand((very expensive mind)) and seek probably the closest).

10. NorwayOverkill

NorwayOverkill New Member

I read with interest the article on MCSE as I am on a resettlement course (from the Armed Forces) and have considered my options lie within the IT industry.

The commnets are very apt and as someone who has no experience in this arena I find myself agreeing with the various points........

One thing I have noticed on the course I am on is that NOT ONE of our instructors has MCSE or even the MCSA qualification and coming from the military it has been difficult to find credibility with the teaching staff.... I have my own issues with the course itself but the training is not of a high standard.......

I would add that you choose a course provider VERY VERY carefully and if like me you are a complete beginner, do some pre study and learn a little on IT topics....... even just basic terminology is helpful or you will struggle (as I have)....

Hope this helps and I would suggest to anyone to do the A+ exam first or do a course that eases you into the subject matter..... oh and once again pick your provider with care.

N. O.

Certifications: none
    WIP: a+