Why Microsoft can't afford Windows 7 to fail

Discussion in 'News' started by UKDarkstar, Oct 19, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Why Microsoft can't afford Windows 7 to fail

On Thursday, Microsoft launches Windows 7, the latest version of its operating system. Its success or failure will determine the future of the world's biggest software company.

When talking about Microsoft, it is useful to remind yourself of the sheer scale of its reach. Windows powers about 90% of the world's computers; by the company's own reckoning more than one billion people use it.

Windows also powers Microsoft. During its last financial year, a $58.4bn (£35.7bn) turnover generated an operating profit of $20.3bn (net profit: $14.6bn). Windows accounted for well over half of that.

For years, critics have claimed that Microsoft's virtual monopoly is about to end.

They say it will be brought down by a resurgent Apple, insurgent open-source rival Linux or a revolution in how we use computers, when the actual computing moves from desktop machines to the "cloud" where software runs on remote servers.

Full story : HERE

Thanks to GiddyG for spotting this one ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. JK2447
      JK2447
      I was reading that this morning. I don't think they have anything to worry about :D
    2. craigie
      craigie
      I would be amazed if Windows 7 is NOT a success.
    3. Evilwheato
      Evilwheato
      Indeed, they've taken more steps in getting the public (and techies) involved with the new OS.
    4. danielno8
      danielno8
      I'd be amazed aswell, it's been great so far, i now hate having to use XP at work though lol. Hopefully we'll move to 7 next year some point!