Why is it

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Jul 16, 2008.

1. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

saw an advert this week from skills train saying the average IT wage is £37k, i dunno how true that fact is but the fact is to get any where near that it will require years and years of experience and certs which they fail to mention

i think alot of new members come here with the illusion that passing a few certs will give them a quick and easy way into IT in a well paid job which is just not true

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Not sure what you mean by this as the OP stated they got into IT and threw hardwork moved up the ranks to enhance there salary 4x.

If you mean that you or other people are finding it hard getting into an IT role thats a different conversation.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

As I'm currently looking for a job, I don't think some employers help. For some entry level jobs the requirements for a position even to be considered is at best unrealistic, at worst completely unhelpful, do you really need an MCSA to get a 14K helpdesk role?

It gets me down because I know that for all the merits of an MCSA, its probably not appropriate for me to have one at this point in my career. Yet a lot of people are requesting it. :(

I'm applying for jobs but sometimes I feel like I'm swimming against the tide.

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I'm glad for him that he has gone up the ranks etc, but that has nothing to do with wether he went with a TP or has the MCSE or whatever, he seems to think we don't like people going for the MCSE etc and we only say not to if the person has no experience as it can go against them.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. greenbrucelee

tell me about it.:(

6. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I think this is a pretty poor post. This forum is a fountain of knowledge and you shouldn't be trying to moan about new guys joining and asking questions about MCSE/CCNP etc.

Unlike you GBL many people haven't got the slightest clue about the different rankings in IT and therefor have no idea what kind of experience is required to match an MCSE. A lot of people will consider these types of certifications like a HNC/D/Degree as they are advertised through training providers and "home learning colleges" etc.

I see why it's annoying you but that's what this forum is all about.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  7. greenbrucelee

Your getting me wrong it's not annoying me at all, I was just wondering why people don't know. When I went to college I picked up a prospectus and read about all the different courses and found was suitable for me and I read the requirements.

Back then the tinternet was really only just kicking off but you could still get the info from there on all this, I did.

8. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

snap

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  9. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

According to Computer Weekly the 'standard wage' for an IT Support person is 22K.

It's not just TPs that give people utter shash-like expectations of what career changers or new starters will be paid in their new career. Any salary survey will generally not take into account the North/South divide or the London premium when giving *overall* figures. You need to look at regionalised averages for both the industry you are aiming for and the area you live in.

The general mass media, training providers, brain-dump sites pushing through Google ads, even Google itself, will assist in hyping the attention to your MCSA, MCSE and CCNA as (has already been mentioned) they are the most popular Certs. They are the most talked about, receive more posts in forums, and will invariably head up Google searches on Certs. The standard 'cursory glancer' probably won't delve deep into a Google search to see what entry level certs they need to do. All they think is they want to work in networks, and possibly dismiss the entry level certifications as below their ability, or the strata of what they want their career to encompass.

And I'm sorry, but the masked hits at TPs as a fault is utter crap. No they shouldn't just push the MCSE, but they *rarely* offer that as a standalone course. It's normally rolled in with the A+, N+ and others, and it's a combination of marketing, poor research on the part of the buyer, and, let's face it, business, as to why people sign up for the courses.

Why do they ask about the high-end Certs only? Media hype. Searching hype. A whole bunch of factors. But if they get to come here, then at least they get to be pointed in the right direction.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  10. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

In this particular matter, I can only give you advise based around my own experiences.

A bit of background about me, at the age 26 years old I was earning the equivalent of an Architects wages in IT. I had been with the same company since 18 and only realised I was unhappy in my current role (Finance & Management) at the age of 30, which also was also the year my wife fell pregant.

I was working long hours and the weekend as well and did not get to see my daughter (who is less than a year old), but was being compensated financially extremley well.

I took a long hard look at my life and decided that a change was needed to fit in with my lifestyle. IT came up trumps. I'm currently working as a Helpdesk Analyst and have never been so happy (even though I am earning in excess of 4x less than I was). I have been in this job for just over a month and have been flagged for second line support, once I pass my 7-290. I have less IT skills than most people on the desk, but remember these are easier to learn than having the right attitude and aptitude, focus and commitment.

How did I get my first job? Well..

My experience and job roles where way to advanced for anything for a first line support so I streamlined my experiences and pretty much dummed down my CV over a two week period (asking friends and family to help) and made it more IT biased.

Now, I did not lie on my CV, just removed all my achievements, sales abilities, management skills etc. But kept in all my customer facing skills. So it pretty much looked like I progressed at a 'normal rate' and then wanted a career change.

This I think was the key, as in a first line role, yes your IT skills matter slightly, but more so is your inter communication skills, I would even guess this is a 20% to 80% balance.

Now I do not know your particular circumstances, but what I can advise on is:

1. If you read your CV, would you give yourself an interview for the job your applying for, if not why not, what changes or improvments can you make? This is the deal maker or breaker to get the interview.

2. Apply for every IT job within your capabilities within a 15 mile raidus (hopefully there are some jobs). You will get some interviews if your CV stacks up.

3. Practive your interview techniques. If you have gotten interviews but not the job, what went wrong, was it your presentation, communication skills, did you fail a test etc etc. Ask for feedback from the interviewer.

Hope this helps, just keep tapping away and something will turn up.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  11. greenbrucelee

Good post :)

My problem was/is that I live in a very rural area and have only just got out of debt. I earn a decent wage for where I live so my aim is now to save up so I can apply for jobs in other parts of the UK and be able to move.

My CV is ok from the help I had on here, it's just getting to point where I can apply for jobs outside my area and move away.

12. greenbrucelee

Well said.

I don't mind pointing people in the right direction but it's when people don't believe you or think you are talking crap is when it gets annoying.

Obviously I understand a TP has to make money but they should be maketing the courses to the right people,

13. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

They wouldn't make any money then :rolleyes: :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  14. greenbrucelee

I just think it's bad thats all.

15. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Fair enough GBL but I think prospectus' might just confuse some people further so they decide to just aim high and hope for the best.

When you don't know what actual jobs involve you don't know what half the stuff that comes with certs is for or means.

I'm just giving ideas :)

16. greenbrucelee

I see your point, but if you want to go into support you should obviously realise you may be supporting lots of people on possible multiple platforms and also be involved with various pieces of hardware from peripherals to servers (eventually). And there are certs which deal with all these things.

17. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Yes but without experience you could be very niave and think you can focus on networking then only do networking, without ever doing desktop support or similar. Sadly IT doesn't work like that but many people coming from more 'I'm qualified for the job gimme gimme' roles won't be aware.

Edit: and books won't tell you that either.

18. greenbrucelee

thats valid :)

19. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I think its a couple of things

• TV and advertising misleading as already said.
    • some people BS about how long it took them to get to where they are
    • some people are lucky and do get through or BS themselves into jobs

The last two people hear about.

As for wages ...

• People get confused with contractors ie don't understand about overheads, no sick pay, no holiday pay, no work guaranteed in long run etc that's why they get paid more.
    • geography ie jobs pay more in London but rent , congestion charges etc etc push up cost of living.
    • extremely gifted graduates do tend to move into more higher paid entry level jobs.

AndiC

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  20. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

The magic number I always hear 37K 1st job :rolleyes: :biggrin

There a massive gap in pay from London City to Home counties. Have been find it hard to get back as of 4 years away.

Some training providers don't test to see if the student is capable of study, Just take money and run.
    you seen the adds You got a computer you too can make money :biggrin

Would most people looking to start an MCSA/E do some research at MICROSOFT :blink
    There must be page on starting your carrier pointing to the A+

edit:
    wiki has page on help desk with pages linked http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help_desk what entails some key points what the jobs about.