Why is CIW still V5? - 3 yrs now! update soon?

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by AuRoR, Apr 16, 2008.

1. AuRoR

AuRoR Bit Poster

Hi everyone, as the title says why is CIW still v.5? I had a salesman come around 2 years ago from skills train. I
    paid the deposit (50 quid) and recieved section materials there and then. Then thanks to forums like this I

realised that 2700 was a ripoff so i cancelled the loan before first months payment. I intended to do self

study and started to look for materials. eventually i got a new job and moved on to other things. ive kept the

first section safe knowing it will come in handy and nows the time!

my only query is why in such a rapidly changing industry has the course not been updated in 3 years? i think

theres been 2 minor updates because on the footer of the pages mine says version 1.0 and ciwcertified says

1.2 on there books on site. is this because the general theory is still the same and i just build on that with

updates such as css / using cs3 etc? will i be ok using the version 1.0 folder for the first section? when i buy

the second half that will be updated so i should be fine i think. i just need to get my hands on the second

half now! will probably end up buying it all again anyway.

the only really decent s s k's are the official ones arent they? i've emailed the c-cert'd to see if they have

changed there policy and will post to u.k again because its 3 times cheaper. sorry for the long post but im sure this will help other potential ciw's.

cheers guys this is a great forum! Gareth

Certifications: GNVQ ICT, Nat Diploma IT Practitioners
    WIP: Head above water
  2. AuRoR

AuRoR Bit Poster

does no1 have an opinion on this then? no1 thinks that 3 years is way too long for a web syllabus update?

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I'm not a web guy so can't comment really but some courses don't change for years it depends on how much things have changed since exams/courses were introduced.

Welcome to the forums :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. AuRoR

AuRoR Bit Poster

Hi mate and thanks I actually browse the forums all the time just keep quiet. There's so much to read and take

in never mind posting to! I suppose there hasn't been too much change to the theory behind it. I suppose it's good to get the cert then build on it with new knowledge.

Thanks

5. Jasiano

Jasiano New Member

it has been updated... section 4 covers all the abode cs3 software as im doing it now

WIP: CIW Web Design Management
  6. AuRoR

AuRoR Bit Poster

Oh brilliant, I haven't got that far yet. I have th CS3 suite so this will help me a lot at home (and obviously if I work for someone else). Could you just tell me do your books say '2005 Prosoft Training. All Rights Reserved Version 1.2'?

7. Jasiano

Jasiano New Member

ermm not on this one, on my last section, server administration, it had prosoft something in the footer, think it was 2007 tho.. the cs3 section is version 8.2.. pretty good this section 2bhonest just started it.. but id reccomend teaching yourself and practisin with the cs3 programs.. as they wil take agggesss to master, i have lots of video tutorials by lynda.com and total training plus a loada ebooks, if anyone wants any get in touch. :biggrin

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you mean e-books of study guides that you'd buy in a bookstore, that'd be a violation of copyright law. There are several authors here who make their living off of their published writing... including me.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Jasiano

Jasiano New Member

nah not of study guides... nothing illegal