Why is 2008 R2 DC Auto Logging in

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by mkultr4, Mar 17, 2014.

1. mkultr4

mkultr4 Bit Poster

Hi

I am actually studying for a Windows 7 exam rather than a server exam but i want a functional server 2008 R2 domain controller as part of my Vm rig for the virtual win7 clients to connect to.

I have ran dcpromo and the server now advises that its a DC but after a reboot it still auto logs in as the account that first logged into the server at time of installation. I have read that it may be running in audit mode or oobe mode but i am unsure of how to disable this auto login business. I did try disabling the account that it auto logs in with but that just causes an error msg about the account being disabled rather than producing a normal login prompt.

Is this due to a step i missed before i promoted it to a DC or is there a routine I can run now to force the DC to ask for login credentials.

Thanks

2. monobrow

monobrow Nibble Poster

Hi, I don't know if this will be much help, but I used this series of guides when I was doing the 70-680 (Windows 7) course. I was able to get as far as getting WSUS and WDS up and running without much fuss.

Edugeek was also useful.

Certifications: MOS Outlook 2010, MOS Word 2010, MCTS Windows 7, ITIL v3 Foundations, MCDST
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal