Why does my PC not start if all 24 pins of the PSU connetor are plugged in

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zr79, Aug 23, 2009.

1. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

So my PC wouldn't turn on and and after a lot of playing about with the PSU motherboard 24-pin connector i worked out that if i break the 24 pins into a 4-pin and 20-pin, which it is designed to do, then just by plugging in the 20-pin section then the PC fires up, it was working previoulsy for months with 24-pins.

WAIT, what i said is not entirely correct, by using 24 pins if i insert all the 24-pins so that they just touch the MB connector hence just makes contact and no more and basically wiggle it a bit then i the fans sometimes come on but very weak like maybe 1/8 of the power. You might say well just plaug the 24-pins in fully down, well if i do then absoluetly nothing so i tried 20 pins and voila it worked. All the pins in the mb and the metal sockets in the connector look fine, so what gives, maybe the PSU is not giving out enough power any more to cope with 24 pins?

The other day i switched of the PC at the wall without shutting it down, so basically abruptly, was in a rush, and i think the problem started then.

So what i can't work out isis it the PSU, the connectors, the leads or the motherboard, i suppose test the voltages in cables would be next step?

Confusing?

Certifications: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You might have blown something only way to tekk is get a multimeter on the psu.

the connectors could be dirty on the 24 pin connector.

It could be a number of things

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Sounds like you're only making intermittent connections and the fans momentum is keeping it turning in between power surges.
    Most electrical equipment is under the most stress (highest current draw) when it's being turned on, so wiggling half-in power cables is stressing your components. Stop it!

Next step is metering (remember to do it under load) or try it with a known good PSU.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job