Why do you work where you do?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by nugget, Jul 29, 2011.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

As the title suggests, why do you work where you do? What were the deciding factors/ideals/goals that you took into consideration when you accepted the job (leaving out things like more money, less travel time etc)?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Why I took the job in the first place:

1. Career progression
    2. Bigger salary

Why I stay:

1. Closer to home
    2. Better work-life balance
    3. Career & skills development
    4. "Freedom to explorer" (within reason) other avenues of IT eg training, consulting, etc

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

The number 1 thing for me is career progression. To be honest the second factor in deciding would be work/personal life balance. If I have to work all the time and no time to enjoy personal time than it's not worth it for me. Salary is another deciding factor, etc...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Currently work in the centre of Bristol, around 4 miles away from my house. started out as 1st line support, and moved onto multiple office support, now moved into specializing within SCCM.

Huge career prospects here, as such a large company, so i'm keeping my head down and working away

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud