Why are you pursuing Certification?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Aug 11, 2009.

1. jimmy_2k

jimmy_2k Bit Poster

I do them to keep my skills and knowledge upto date. Some employers will only employ certified staff (According to one recuriter) Anyway isn't that all part of working in IT. You should be doing a course/exam at least every 6 months

Certifications: MCDST, 70-290
    WIP: 70-270, 70-291
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

For me it's a few things.

Getting qualifications has been part of enabling me to get to Third Line Support in a relatively quick amount of time. The main part has been my own aptitude and attitude.

It gives me an understanding of how things work, but as Zeb said so wonderfully, there is a huge amount of stuff that you learn which is never used and a huge amount of stuff that you don't use that it used.

An example of this is Exchange 2003, I don't recall it covering Intelligent Message Filtering, but in the real world, we use this alot with clients who are to cheap to route via a proper filtering system.

I obtain certificates to learn new technologies before being exposed to them. I know this is contrary to popular belief, but lets put it this way, work won't let me on Cisco stuff until I have passed the CCENT and CCNA. As they want to feel confident that if they let me loose on a router, I actually now something about it.

They don't have time to train me on the job, as we are so busy, so this fit works for them and also me.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I guess with me it's a case of continuing professional development - but as a way of providing some kind of structure to that development.

Rather than just say 'I'll learn some stuff about IT', certification gives you the chance to narrow that down to the exam curriculum and break off bite sized chunks - and have something to show for it afterwards.

I rate the OU very highly, but it takes three years or so to get a diploma, working at their pace. I just wanted something that I could be a bit more flexible with.

When you get your first cert - especially if you've been out of education for a while - you get a real buzz and end up in danger of becoming a bit of a cert collector. I went through that stage for a few years and then the novelty wore off. I'm concentrating on other stuff now, but may get back into it in the future.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Actually, that's not contrary to popular belief or the prevailing advice around here. You actually have an employer that wants to give you a shot at administering Cisco routers. Thus, you've done things in the RIGHT order. Most people think that if they get the CCNA, someone will automagically offer them an opportunity to administer Cisco routers. But that's not how it works. Once you've been asked to get it by an employer, by all means, get it!! :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

The situation you've described, Craigie, is how I would define pursuing Certification.

Sure, I have the standard entry-level desirables: A+, N+, and MCDST. But I wouldn't say that I pursued them with any voracity, nor studied with the heart and passion that others on this site demonstrate. That possibly shows up in my passing scores (which, whilst not shabby near-passes, are nothing to shout home about). But I think I alluded to this elsewhere; working in IT is a passion of mine, but the type of studying required to pass an technical exam doesn't sit right with me yet. I'm still experimenting with the best way of learning to get it all to 'sit' properly in my head.

I think drawing on another thread will help clarify this: I don't have a home network.

I mean, sure, I have a laptop, my hubby has a PC, we have a printer attached to a wireless print server. Big whoop. What I have learned so far didn't really require anything of significance be installed in my home, and work was covering all the 'dirty areas' of learning. So I was associating study directly with working, and coming home and focussing on other things, for example, my degree. It was Martin that pointed out to me quite rightly that I could never do the 32 billion things I try to do all at once and actually make something out of it all that was concrete.

So I put off 'pursuing' any certs, until the end of my current OU course. I purposely gave myself a breather of 4 months between the end of this course, and the beginning of my next (with the next one not requiring much background reading). THEN I will start voraciously pursuing certs, and mainly for the dangling carrot that was offered to Craigie. No, my boss has not said clearly that I WILL be promoted if I get certs x, y and z. But I KNOW I will be promoted if I carry on at work the way I am (working like a hell demon). My foot is already in the door, and certs will put a steel toe-cap on the end of the boot that I end up kicking it through with. Experience is King, but every King needs a good adviser :wink:

So watch the space between October and February for I've done this and that and... oooh... this too. Watch the Craigification spread :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

A cracking post Arroryn. I found my optimal study times and methods during doing OU study. I struggled with the isolation at first but then learned to ignore that. Studying mid week in numerous 20 minute blocks works great for me then a social life crushing 10-12 hour session of a Saturday.

Don't worry mate, once you have the cert bug, you'll need a lab, no WANT a lab setup at home mwah ha ha ha I look forward to your craigification :twisted:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Except of course where Test is King...

:blink:oops:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Oooo . . . . .is that a tubleweed I just saw . . . .:p

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  9. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Yeah. Right after I slapped him :wink:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA