Why are things so backwards looking for an IT job in the UK?????

Discussion in 'A+' started by sakuraba1982, Nov 8, 2006.

1. sakuraba1982

sakuraba1982 Nibble Poster

OK then so most people are taking these exams to go into an IT career, the exams (A+ anyhow) are geared towards someone who has 6 months + of IT experience ,

I don't know if anyone in Kent has tried to find a job with no qualifications in IT , it doesn't really happen as they all want all of the Qualifiacations and experience

man it sucks

i passed the hardware section of the exam and sit my OS on Friday to then follow onto network + and MCSA/MCSE

heres hoping things can get a little more positive!!!!!!!!

The whole experience thing isnt limited to the IT industry but it does make you feel like you are on an uphill battle!!!!

Certifications: A+ N+ MCSA 2003
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Just keep on climbing up that hill mate. In IT you will never reach its top, because as soon as you get to the top of one hill, you realise there's an even bigger one behind it!

(Think Passing an XP cert only to discover Vista is now out!)

8)

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

According to CompTIA's A+ Web site, the A+ exam is designed for entry-level individuals; six months of experience is not required.

Now, for most other exams, experience is recommended. For example, for Network+, CompTIA recommends first taking the A+ exam and getting nine months of networking experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. sakuraba1982

ha ha that sounds about right!!!

but most places won't let you near a network unless u got a cert :biggrin

5. BosonMichael

Most places won't let you near a network until you get some experience. When I started out as a field service tech, I gradually learned about networking. Eventually, I was hired out of my contract by one of our customers, and I became a systems administrator, who occasionally helped the network administrator with the network. My experience grew and I continued to move up.

I know I won't let someone near my network until they've had some experience with networking... starting at the systems level. Only with time and experience are they allowed to help me administer servers, routers, and firewalls.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. sakuraba1982

yeah i defo appreciate that having a cert does not mean that you are let loose strait away, i think the point i wqas trying to make is that after getting the cert i need to get some hands on and most places will not give you a chance they want someone with 4 years experience!!!!

7. BosonMichael

Then you're aiming too high with your job expectations at this point in your career. Get a systems admin job and, once they trust you, they'll let you tinker with the network so that you CAN get that experience.