Who's taking this one before July?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Apoc220, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

So I was curious as to how many of you guys (and gals) are planning on taking on the MCDST (271 & 272) before June 31st rolls around. After learning of the extension back in December I've been prepping for the exam. I was supposed to take the 271 yesterday but fell way behind on my studying. Back on track and looking to knock it out at the end of this month or first week of April. So... with that said, how many of you are on the MCDST track.

By the way, measure up has lowered the price of their practice exams for the MCDST to $30 USD. Obviously you should get a trial to see if it's the right practice exam for you, but with these tough times I'm sure we can all use an extra buck or two in our wallets. Also remember that the microsoft second shot offer can save you 15% on both exams if you buy them up front together! Good luck to you all!

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Byte Poster

I hope to have it conquered before its retired. Or at least the 70-271.

Certifications: N+
    WIP: A+ Security+ ITIL V3
  3. buy_my_cookies

buy_my_cookies Bit Poster

I plan on taking 271 end of march and 272 start of june to give me a month to retake.

thanks for the info about booking both together, i plan to book them this week.

good luck to both of you.

Certifications: BTEC national diploma in computing.
    WIP: N+
  4. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Planning on taking 271 next month and hopefully 272 the month after?????

Good luck to all that are studying for these exams and let us know how you's get on :D:D:D

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Has anyone managed to book an MCDST exam between the end of March and the end of June yet?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. gulbash

gulbash Nibble Poster

Hi. I am planning to do the 70-271 this month or the beginning of April. So far i used Sybex, MS press, CBT nuggets videos and recently i bought the measureup practice exams for 33 USD to study. I am a bit concerned about doing the 70-271 exam though, because May and June are still greyed out in my exam center. So i won't have enough time to study for the 70-272. So i guess i will have to call the center and find more about it before i do the 70-271 exam. Good luck to all who is taking the exams.

Certifications: A+, Network +, 70-680, 70-640, 70-642
  7. buy_my_cookies

buy_my_cookies Bit Poster

I have not booked it yet but my test centre has seats availible up to the 1st week in May, most test centres only let you book 2 months in advance. last week i could only book upto end of April so it seems to be moving as it should so to speak.

Been going through the microsoft book for 271 and making notes, my biggest problem seems to be that i make too many notes! I seem to almost be rewriting the book! I have filled up an a4 ring binder with notes, and I cant seem to get out of the habbit of doing this, I think its because i am worried about missing something important.

I have the nuggets videos to watch as well.

Certifications: BTEC national diploma in computing.
    WIP: N+
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

My collegue passed his 70-271 last week and is taking the 70-272 in April which he booked yesterday.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Andy_h

Andy_h New Member

gonna try and get both done before deadline...fingers crossed

WIP: A+ MCDST
  10. gulbash

gulbash Nibble Poster

May available now in my exam center in my country. So the worries gone, i will have enough time to study for the 70-272 after i do the 70-271.

Certifications: A+, Network +, 70-680, 70-640, 70-642
  11. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

Hey Guys,

Good to see that we have a fair amount of people taking on this... makes me not feel so lonely! Right now I've JUST finished reading the lessons in the MS Press book. A lot of it was pretty dry considering I've been dealing with XP for the better part of the past six years. It was like searching for a needle in a haystack at times trying to get through the lessons before I'd find something that I didn't know already. Anyway, now it's time to review the notes, do the labs and practice questions.

12. camadi46

camadi46 Bit Poster

Hi there,
    I am studying for the MCDST too, hope to get the 70-271 done by april and probably the second one by end of June. Good luck everyone!!!

Certifications: A+, MCP
  13. Oro

Oro Bit Poster

I have the 70-271 booked for the twenty secondth of this month.

I'm finding the MS books to be a bit... 'dry'. As a result I've been slacking with my studying to be honest. I've had the books for 2 months now and I'm only at Chapter 4 :dry

I prefer the more informal approach in the Mike Meyers books. He has a way of explaining somewhat complex topics in a simplistic and straight forward manner.

In any case, I'll be hitting the books hard this week. Hopefully I wont have to reschedule the exam...again:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
  14. manding

manding New Member

Hi there fellas!
    I´ve just book my 70-271 for the 26th of this month...let´s see how it goes!

Certifications: BSc Hons IT for e-Commerce
    WIP: MCDST
  15. TrickyP

TrickyP New Member

Yup, Im on the same track on gettin my MCDST before it retires, I too kinda fell behind on my studying for it because of the rest of the other things I need to study for but Im hammering into the Sybex book which I just got yesterday and I actually prefer it to the MS press books.

WIP: MCDST, CNNA and A+
  16. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

I feel you there. I was going VERY slow with the MS Press book for a while. Coincidentally, I finished the last chapter of lessons on the exact day I originally intended to take the exam. Right now I'm just reviewing my notes and going to be taking some practice exams soon. yea... Good times!

17. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Count me in, fancy doing this before end of June!

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  18. AjP

AjP Bit Poster

I have booked 272 for 2nd May, Passed 271 in Feb

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-682, MCITP
  19. vidalvic

vidalvic New Member

I've started last week, I hope still on time

20. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

I don't think it's too late as long as you're ready to put in the work for it. Good luck!