Who's studying for the N+ . . . .

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Luddym, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey guys,

Who's studying for the N+ at the moment.

Would anyone be interested in a sort of Q and A thing while we are all studyings. For instance, if one of us has an issue with something (What exactly is the difference between a gateway, Routher, Bridge and Brouter.), then they post a thread of wonderance, and the rest of us chip in and try to help them to get it.

8)

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

It's there in the background for me.......might eventually get round to it.

Sounds like a good idea though. 8)

3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I'd be up for this as i plan to tak ethe exam either end of the month or start of April nows i got some money for it..... could do with some q&a sessions. How would you do it tho? on here in the forum or using msn or summat? ALready have the QoTW in forums...

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Boyce has been studying for the N+ since he passed A+. I have read all the books i have found including All in one, Passport, Sybex, Online stuff and now Fast pass. I hope to take the exam in the next few weeks. Keeping my eyes peeled on the bargains at certified4less.com :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

The plan I have in my head is . . . If anyone is having any particular problems, or maybe something is just a little hazy (Even if it is only a bit hazy), then they start a thread here outlining it.

Something like . . . 'Does anyone know what software you'd have to install on a mac to let it attach to a Win 2k Server.', or 'Does anyone know of a way of remembering . . . ' or 'When exactlyu would you use a gateway instead of a bridge.' Then we just start to discuss it. That way, even if you do know the particular subject, it will get clearer in one's mind.

So, does anyone have any questions to start us off?

6. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I'm like you boyce, ready to take the exam . . . I think.

I missed out on a getcertified N+ voucher last week, that would have made it about 84 quid to take. But as it is, I may just go for the $199 one they have on there all the time. About 120 quid, but at least it saves 35 . . . thats about 15 pints in my local. :D

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think I am okay on a Bridge and a Gateway but yikes a Routher and a Brouter have got me stumped :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

OK first question... whats a Routher??? thats a new one on me is it some sort of new switching device for use on roofs???

Im stuck on the OSI but thats been answered a lot on forums...
    As for the rest im hazy on all of it :) i tried the exam cram questions and was getting 80 to 90% scores now im using master exam questions im getting 60% scores... and i cant afford Transcender...

9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

10. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Ok another question.. serious this time..

Looking at the objectives for N+ its askin Which layer of the OSI do WAPs operate in?

Now i cant find that mentioned anywhere specifically... I got routers, switches, hubs etc but not WAP.

I'd have to say that i think it would be the Data layer like switches and bridges tho possibly it could be the physical layer.
    Anyone else know?

11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If WAP = Wireless Access Point then they have elements of layers 1 and 2.

They are physical objects - so layer 1. And they behave as ethernet bridges and routers, so layer 2.

I'm assuming a pure WAP here, rather than a combo device.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ah Brouter, I didn't realise it was a Portmanteau :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Guys, remember the Chat Room is always available if you want to have a freeform discussion on any matters N+ (or any other cert, for that matter). If you all want to arrange something, then let me know and I'll keep it clear for you, and arrange a Mod if you want as well :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  14. acid

acid New Member

Bridge + Router= Brouter has some memory ie not dumb

15. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The problem is that nearly all network devices these days have memory - it is cheap to fit.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+