Who's bored already and here at CF on Christmas?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

I was popping on and off yesterday as I was totally bored out of me skull. We don't do the religous side of xmas just the commercial side, but I find it all pretty boring nowadays, its a kids day, the magic of christmas lies with children, my little bro is now 17 so xmas has been quite dull since he was about 12. That said my gf gets quite excited about it still but I only saw her in the morning then she went home.

My day consisted of taking the dogs for a walk, opening pressies, eating christmas dinner, starting to look into making my older bro a webpage, playing COD:waw for 15 mins to test my new headset out, back to the website, xmas tea with grandad, bro n sis in law round, emmerdale :( , corrie :dry , and then eastenders :cry: by which point I was near on suicidal only saved by the royle family xmas special which was even not the best work but had a few laughs.

Xmas always makes me think of folks I know who can't be enjoying it for whatever reason, like A lad I went to school with died 23rd dec 2002 age 18, another lad I know from round here who was nicest lad you could wish to meet, died 23rd dec 2007 age 21, a lad who was in my tutor group at school so he's 24, is lying in a coma in birmingham after being blown up by a roadside bomb in afghanistan last month.

WIP: A+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

This is the time of year, whether you celebrate or not, that reminds you of either your joys or your deepest sorrows. My condolences and prayers for the victims and their families.

Finally got to see my son Michael yesterday. He went over to a friends to have dinner with his family and was late coming over to visit with us. Basically, we just chit-chatted and caught up on things. Before dinner, my wife and daughter watched a "chick flick". I caught enough to it to determine that it was pretty strange, which the two of them confirmed.

After Michael raided our pantry and left (actually, we gave him a well stocked "care package" so he won't have to eat just canned goods for the next week or so), I went to bed. Woke up early with a killer case of heartburn (must have been the roast beef last night), so hear I am at the computer instead of sleeping in.

Any number of things I could be doing today. I can continue to write my "secret project" but I've also got to finish my column for Linux Pro Magazine. I write a Tech Tools column for them every month and write book reviews every two months (kind of nice to have my name and work before the public on a regular basis). I also write theological articles for my congregation's web site and there's one on the back burner I've been meaning to get out. No deadlines, since I'm the one who gives me my "assignments", but the ideas stack up unless I start writing them.

No snow last night, so my efforts at sweeping the driveway and sidewalks have held up. Just for giggles, I also did the sidewalks of the neighbors on either side again. I think I've started a "manly" competition, because I've noticed that my sidewalks have remained swept, event when it's snowed and I was at work. :wink:

One of my daughter's best friends comes from a Swedish family and they have some sort of event at their home the day after Christmas. I think my daughter and the missus will be going to that, giving me some quiet time. It'll be nice after yesterday with its combination of vacuuming noises and having to ring up just about everyone I know to wish them Happy Holidays.

Of course, my congregation is having it's community Chanukah celebration tomorrow. It's an all day affair starting at 1 p.m. I should go over and make sure the drive is swept and the place is presentable, though those of us on the board will probably be going over early tomorrow anyway to set up things. I somewhat resist having to do a lot of work on the Sabbath, but we live in a world where the Sabbath isn't universally respected and observed. Someday...

After Passover, Chanukah is the Jewish holiday most Christian and secular people are aware of. We tend to have a real blow out every Passover. Last year, we had quite a crowd including three Christian Pastors who all said they all really appreciated seeing how Jesus is lived out in the Passover. I'd like to start expand that tradition to Chanukah as well, since He is our "Light to the World"

Ah well, more coffee, breakfast, and then to work.

Certifications: A+ and Network+