whois directory information

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by mallet, Nov 16, 2008.

1. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

I did a bit of research on the whois directory where you can look up the domain. it also gives you personal information on the users account including postal address :eek:
    I heard you can opt out to not give out any information. providing you pay a yearly fee on the .com accounts. not sure if its the same with the .co.uk accounts.
    But if I do opt out, will my site have any problems getting indexed by search engines?

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

You can opt out when you register a .co.uk domain but only, I believe, if it's an individual registration (i.e. not for a company). As far as I'm aware it has no effect on search engines as these will pick up on words from the site and not from registration information.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Here you go - opt-out is only for non-trading individuals :)

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

thanks UKDarkstar for the info. you got it spot on.
    and also, where I brought my domain from they sent me a email with the following statement:

"The owners name must be displayed on public whois lookup for all domain names.
    You may however withhold all other details for .uk domain names providing the
    domain name is just registered to an individual and the site is a non profit
    making site with no links to profit making originations. All other domain
    names ie .com, .biz, .info etc must have all of these details displayed. This
    is not a law governed by us but by the global governing body. If we were to
    remove the details from the whois database then you will run the risk of the
    domain being deleted by the body."

unfortunately, because my site is going to be posting ad banners, I cant opt out. But its not too bad, the whois info just has my name and nothing else so I dont think its that bad.....

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  5. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

And we thought the web was anonymous haha.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. stacy_kodani

stacy_kodani New Member

There are lot of sites providing free information's about the domain names. I gone passed the website WhoisXY.com, where they are providing the information about Domain Name Server (DNS) Lookup, WHOIS, and DNS Records Lookup and online ping test. Some sites has limited search but they are providing numerous search per day.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  7. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

You can also place utter nonsense as the contact info for the domain... Not everyone stays truthful when they register a domain name, otherwise it would be all too easy to get hold of those people who register sites to sell counterfeit goods or worse.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM