Who is your favorite Author

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by AJ, Oct 2, 2005.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Thanks to Noelg we have had a lot of what is yiur fav ..............

Just thought I would carry this on with this topic.

I normally have 2 or 3 books on the go at any one time, but I always go back to:

David Eddings

Raymond E Feist

Douglas Adams

Terry Pratchet

James Herbert

Not in any order except David Eddings.

Post your fav authors folkes, only fiction or auto/biographys

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I used to read a lot of novels when i was younger but now only have time for computer books. Oh, and magazines! :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I cant remember the last non IT related book I read.

I do have a copy of Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything tho. I read the first chapter, thought 'wow, this is good' and never got back to it!

:rolleyes:

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Overall I would go with Harry Harrison. A fantastic blend of Sci-Fi and humour. If you haven't already, get to know the Stainless Steel Rat and others. Many of you may know him as the writer behind the film 'Soylent Green' which was a book of his titled 'Make room, make room.'

Another favorite is Michael Crichton. Unfortunately he's had a lot of stuff made into films, with varying success. If you thought that Jurassic Park was a good film, read the book and you'll realise what a shallow interpretation it is. I spent my summer hols reading 'State of Fear'. Fantastic.

But Arthur C Clarke deserves a mention. I haven't read all his stuff, but the first book of the 'Rama' series was awesome. The bit where the lights come on for the first time...
    You'll know what I mean if you've read it!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Please don't do this to me. I haven't read fiction in so long I can't remember when. Having said that, here are the first ones that came to mind.

For mysteries, I loved John D McDonald's
    Travis McGee
    series. The Florida "boat bum" and part-time investigator was tough as nails and still remained human and fallible.

I will always be grateful to Issac Asimov for I Robot and the rest of the "Robots" series. I could never get into his Foundation series but his robots always captured my imagination. Many people don't realize that Asimov was also a masterful mystery writer. I love mysteries where the author gives the reader a chance to solve the mystery (not always a murder) before the end of the story. If you do too, try the Tales of the Black Widowers

Lots of authors made me want to read. Only Harlan Ellison made me want to write. Trouble is, I'm a lousy fiction writer. I only found my niche when doing technical writing. Ellison co-wrote the pilot to what would have been a terrific television show if he could have found the right producer; Phoenix Without the Ashes

I was probably introduced to science fiction in junior high by E.E. "Doc" Smith and his Skylark Series. They are old stories so by modern standards the technology would seem ridiculous. I'm not sure if the quality would hold up if I were to read one today, but they fueled a 13 year old's imagination almost 40 years ago.

Larry Niven's Ringworld was fantastic as well as his "Known Space" series. I learned to never let a "puppeteer" turn their back on you. :tongue

There are many others that have entered and exited my "favorite authors" circle. I guess these are the classics since they are drawn very easily from memory without having to stop and think.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Aureilius

Aureilius Byte Poster

I don't read that much fiction these days, but I'd say;

Robert Asprins 'myth' & 'phules company' series. Hilarious.

Terry Pratchet. Again funny.

The last Authors book I read were Andy McNabs 'Bravo two zero' , 'Immediate Action' & a few more. Great books :)

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

OK, I didn't include Douglas Adams.
    It's a terrible thing to say, but I have read all his stuff, and I do love HHG, but it never blew me away.
    It's funny, imaginative and clever, but I never went 'WOW'.

Beat me up, whatever.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Stephen King...enjoy his books cause most (alomst all i think!!) are based in africa :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  9. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

in no particular order:

dean koontz, not as heavy as king but still good.

richard laymon, same.

terry pratchett, consistently funny

and wilbur smith just for a wee bit of adventure.

Certifications: ECDL
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Just to put another couple in, I think Tolkien has to be mentioned here as well as Stephen Donaldson.

More that come to mind are

Piers Anthony
    Poul Anderson
    Isaac Asimov
    Marion Zimmer Bradley

and a couple to put the cat among the pigeons

Hans Christian Anderson and The Brothers Grimm.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Well I read too much Fiction...over the years:

Science Fiction:

Isaac Asimov [Robot and Foundations series]
    Arthur C Clark
    Raymond E Feist
    David Brin [uplift series]
    Harry Harrison ["...be good rat Jim..."]
    Greg Bear
    Gregory Benford
    Robert L Forward
    Larry Niven
    Walter Jon Williams

Fiction:

Patrick O'Brian [Jack Aubrey series]
    Wilbur Smith
    Douglas Reeman/Alistair Kent
    Douglas Adams
    Terry Pratchett

- Yes I obviously have too much time on my hands... :eek:

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  12. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

kafka

13. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I used to be obsessed with fantasy fiction. Until electronics got its icy grip on me.

Terry Goodkind and Katharine Kerr rule the roost for me. The Deverry series in particular was awesome. And I'm eagerly awaiting the next Sword of Truth book.

Terry Pratchett is always in the best of lists. Bill Bryson is good - particularly liked Mother Tongue. And the classics are in there too. Bit of Plato. Catullus. And I liked reading Machiavelli, and arguing with my history teachers about his views.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

really? did I start it all? :rolleyes:

anyway like u AJ I am a big fan of David Eddings...I just wish they would make his books into movies or TV programs...my fave from mr Eddings are the Belgariad and the Mallorean...plus the Rivan Codex, Belgarath The Sorcerer and Polgara The Sorceress...that collection of books I loved so much...funny thing is the first one I read was book 4 of the Belgariad and when I realised there was more I just got instantly hooked...read every single one of them twice...and that was like 10 years ago...now I wana get them all and have them sitting in my room...to remind me of my youth and just being able to lose myself in those books...wow those were days...anyway has anyone here got Mr P Jackson's number?

EDIT: AJ who was your fave character in those books cos mine would have to be Relg from the Belgariad and Polgara...altho I did find Ce Nedra rather feisty....just imagine a 5' ginger haired woman ranting and raving at you with a 2'5" sword...:eek: yes you should be afraid...I know I would...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  15. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

There are just too many favs, Silk, Mandorallen, Belgarath and Polgara.

Have you read the Crystal Throne books with Sparhawk. Now they are funny. :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  16. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

no havent read those...are those by Mr Eddings too?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  17. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Bit Poster

I love Bukowski's novels - havent really read much of his poetry yet. Read Post Office about 2 years ago and had to read everything else he had done. Post Office is a short book so if you havent read it already, its definetly worth a look.

BTW that Bill Bryson Universe... book is great, I have read it a couple of times, although there are some points where it gets a bit boring.

Certifications: Lunatic
  18. damienj3

damienj3 Byte Poster

My 2 fav authors are Andy McNab and Chris Ryan. Don't have any interest in the army thought (weird)

Certifications: mcse
    WIP: MCSE 2003