Who here has been on a MS training COURSE?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Mecha, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Mecha

Mecha Bit Poster

Hi guys,

1 year has pass as an IT admin after university and work has given me a few courses to work on. I chose:

-Fundamentals of Active Directory 2008
    -Managing, Maintaining & Configuring Windows Serve r2008.

They are both Instructor-led (classroom) based courses bvut I have no idea how much different things are. Has anyone got experience with this style of MS course?

Also, can these lead to me taking my MCITP: Server Admin MCP's?

Cheers!

Certifications: BSc Networking, A+ (601)
    WIP: MSc InfoSec, S+, CISMP, IA ISO27001
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

yep, i went on an MS classroom course and loved it.

the moc (microsoft official curriculum) covered the exam objectives (i did 290 and 291) well and in good, clear detail. might have changed but i seem to recall about 60% theory, 40% practical using the books and virtual pc with the images from ms configured for the specific course.

classroom also has the benefits of meeting others in a similar position and asking them (and instructor!) questions when you reach a more difficult subject.

Where are you thinking of going?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I have been on two exchange 2003 courses.

Basically work through a big book and have a virtual 2003 domain with exchange install.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. Mecha

Mecha Bit Poster

The company we get our training courses is called Global Knowledge training, they've trained a few people in our team already.

I hope the Managing Server 2008 course can cover the Server 2008 MCP as I might sit that exam at the end of the month. Do they give you any books/do you recommend buying any books before hand

Certifications: BSc Networking, A+ (601)
    WIP: MSc InfoSec, S+, CISMP, IA ISO27001
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

GK are a good training company, I have dealt with them in the past.
    Infact I am looking at sitting my VCP with them in the next couple of months.

Sorry, work got in the way.

The MS MOC courses tend to focus on a part of the exam rather than the entire exam. If I were you I would actually buy the MS Press book that covers the exam you are sitting.

As far as books from them, you will get the MOC books. Again these books are NOT aimed at the MCITP or MCTS exams but more specifically the content for the particular course you're attending.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
    Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA