Who got stuck in the snow last night?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 7, 2009.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

ME:x

I made it about 10 miles away from home and couldn't get up a hill which is probably only because my car is rear wheel drive.

It just so happened I managed to slide into a parking space outside a pub:D

I arranged a pickup and asked the landlord if I my car was ok being left overnight. My pickup was a 2 mile walk (very rural area) which isn't bad but through 2ft snow it was a bit difficult. When I got to the pickup area I got a phone call saying that the people picking me up had also got stuck.

So I had to trudge all the way back to pub and the land lord said he'd give me an air bed to sleep on and I could stay there the night. I got a free pint out of it too.:D

I've just made it back now, the roads are still bad but passable with care. That was some bad snow, I've never seen anything like that for atleast 8 years.

Anybody have bad snow or got stuck?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

No problem with snow but ice yes. theres been a patch of ice outside my house for the last couple of days, its cleared eveywhere else but not outside my house and every morning it gets me im like Bambi on ice and my poor smart car you could just push it and it would slide.

Why havn't I thrown salt on it yet?.......Umm........ Dont know next question.

WIP: C++ and A+
  3. greenbrucelee

lol, the gritters don't always do the job correctly.

4. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

We have a sprinkle in Manchester, ice isn't as bad as else where, in fact it is just wet now.

Apparently on the other side of Manc towards Oldham it was 4 or 5 inches, but my side of the ring road was just plane soggy as per usual.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Nope, just lots and lots of sun! :biggrin

That said, when I lived in Toronto I remember the Winter was so bad when I used to leave my apartment in the morning for the 30 second walk to the subway station, my eyes and nostrils would freeze up.

With wind chill one night I remember being at a Leafs game, on the way home the board outside said it was -42c!!! Snow was piled so high some days that the walk to work was like a maze through the streets.

These days I just have sand drifts and life-threatening hurricanes to deal with... joy! :eek:

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  6. greenbrucelee

crazy, although I'd swap you :D

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Last night, it was still above freezing, so most of the snow and ice had melted off the roads, but the night before, it took me over twice as long to make it home. Of course, the missus had a couple of errands for me to run, first. Left work at 5 and didn't make it home until 7. Last night, it took me about 30 to 30 minutes to get home, by comparison.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I wish it would snow down here in Devon. It's blimmin cold, but it's a rare day when it snows this far south.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  9. greenbrucelee

The problems is that all you lot down south need is a flake of snow and it's like the whole country is in turmoil :D It'd be all over the news. If it was warm up here that'd probably make the news too.

10. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Naah, I have a BMW! :biggrin O, and the Netherlands is quite flat off course.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  11. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

It was too cold to snow here... -3 at 5:30am yesterday morning. Lots of ice on the roads though...

12. greenbrucelee

-3 is that all?:D it was -8 where I live when I went to work at 6:45am one day last week. It was -11 at shap which is about 9 miles away from me.

13. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

OK, OK... but were you de-icing your car in shorts and t-shirt? 8)

14. greenbrucelee

Shorts and T-shirt weather only happens every 4 years or so up here :(

Which means the summer should be hot8)