who can you trust with CCNA training?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by ITworkxperience, Dec 9, 2009.

1. ITworkxperience

ITworkxperience Bit Poster

There are a few training companies out there taking the mickey..
    A company called TheLearningnet are claiming to have run loads of courses and I know when I 1st came across them they were just starting out(1 month ago).Now he's got testimonials,endorsements the works....He's got a certification called capitc which sounds grand,but will employers recognise it?
    Are all of the small training companies like this? I have been put off by his crafty marketing and will probably now self study my CCNA since I can't find a decent company that I can trust.If I am wrong someone please put me right...
    :blink

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
    Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNA/CCNP
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Why not look at a college if you need tutor led training, personally I would only choose a college if I was finding self study hard I would never trust any TP.

But that's just me

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

i would always take the self-study option anyway, but you have an expired oine, i would of thought you would definately go for self study

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. ITworkxperience

I did my CCNA 5 years ago and did'nt really use it at work.I am struggling with IP V6 and a few other tpics and need an intensive week to iron out the creases.
    Iam also trying to do a pt time degree so I'd prefer to go into a class with live kit and fine tune my self study..

5. ITworkxperience

I am not trying to slag off all TP's!! I joined a free webinar recently from one and thought the instructor was good!(and it was free) !

6. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

For the cost of a class, you can probably buy some live kit. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I'd endorse CommSupport too and I have used them (search the forums and you'll find the post).

They've also offered free webinars to CF members too !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  9. nephilim

nephilim Bit Poster

My university sent me to Barnfield Technology College in Luton for mine. Not going to complain, was 4 weeks work (each semester) and came out quite well. Was fun! :)

Carl

Certifications: Comptia A+, MCSE,
    WIP: CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, MCDBA
  10. ITworkxperience

I do have a lab kit that I have begged and borrowed from friends and colleagues.The real issues I am having need to be ironed out in a classroom with a capable and empathetic instructor.My aim is to be fully prepped before taking the exam.
    I attended the free webinar by Commsupport and thought Joe was a down to earth kind of guy.However, that was a webinar!Judging by the responses from valued members I might just go with them and bite the bullet!!watch this space!!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  11. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

The site looks impressive
    I Might take my Network+ with them the time comes!

Also would it matter if I were to take a Network+ after a MCP and MCDST??
    or should I take the Network+ following a comptia A+??
    or does it really not matter at all? :blink

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Cisco lab rat is a valued member of the forum and technical trainer with commsupport. I have attended two webinars and after seeing the posts, the website, the fact they have genuine testamonials and put their money where their mouth is with free webinars, training day and i think Joe is a good trainer would be the first choice for me.

I hope to embark on a course next year and gladly provide feedback.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
    Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  13. joe90

joe90 New Member

Hi

Having completed a CCNA training (in Sept) at the Learning net I must say I'm suprised by this original post? I thought they were pretty good .. well equipped labs ..the instructor actually made sense ... and 7 whole days of training which gave me loads of hands on experience.

I have read a few posts about small training companies expecting you to cover most of the theory at home before attending but these guys cover everything and they even allowed me to come back to practice before sitting the exam ... all round I thought for the price they were excellent

Cheers

14. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Hi Joe90

We are one of those companies (Commsupport) which you mention that do expect you cover as much of the theory before you come onto the course we expect you to have experience of networking (either theoretical or practical before) you come onto our CCNA course.

We expect this for the reasons I shall explain.

I believe that the CCNA course and exam objectives are not aimed at complete beginners, if one has no knowledge or experience in networking they should not be focusing at the CCNA, that the focus ought to be directed at acquiring the knowledge at the Comptia Network+ level, and/or getting hands on experience in a working environment

In the beginning "2007, and 1st half of 2008" we used to also say to our students that they should "come as they are" we discovered that was the wrong approach and after much debate and deliberation made it a pre-requisite that all students must know the OSI and TCP/IP models prior to coming on the CCNA course. We used to teach the OSI TCP/IP models in the classroom which would take up an entre day. I figured we consume an entire day teaching the fundamentals of networking or alternatively we brush over it in a couple of hours but either way the students looses out, we made it a pre-req, either do it properly or not at all.

If the student wants help in studying these particular concepts then they have a few choices, either read up on the topics, watch the videos, come on the webinars or come on the free one day courses, the options are there to get the understanding required .

Another element which we also removed was learning the cisco command line. It is now expected that the student learns this in their own time prior to the CCNA course using our labs. Again this was another element that took an entire day to complete and was boring for the students and the instructors. (A copy of the command line labs can be found and downloaded for free from a link on the front page of our website, (60 page of command line lab).

By removing these two topics (Protocol stacks and Command line) we have been able to "win" back two entire days that we devote to nothing but networking from day one.

I feel it is negligent, false and incompetent for any training company to even state that students come as they are, of course we expect our students to put the effort in before they come on our courses or anyone’s courses , it's their money, it's their time, it's in a lot of cases their careers, if a student did not do any prep work prior to going on a course then what on earth is going on.

I have never considered attending a course whether it is paid for out of my own pockets or my employers pockets without reading and prepping prior to the event and I expect everyone to do the same, it is only logical to be prepared.

To conclude; We don't live in the world of "X-factor" where you turn up and success is handed to you on a plate, we expect our students to work for their onions and work hard.

Ultimately the company you went with worked for you and that is always a positive thing

Regards

Joe

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
    Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  15. ITworkxperience

Joe, I have been recommended to your company Commsupport by a number of valued CF members and actually joined one of your recent FREE webinars. (Brilliant):DYour honesty is refreshing and realistic. I have always been alarmed by the number of stragglers on previous courses I have attended and remember many years back the number of guys on my CCNA course that had no clue at all. It goes without saying that you need to prep before joining on any course since it gives you an edge in the classroom environment and an head start for certification. It’s amazing how many people(naively) feel that if they go on a course no matter how long they will walk out of the classroom with all the know how. Your approach and honesty is refreshing in the current climate where most companies seem more interested in your money rather than your success!!:twisted:
    I am hoping to book onto a course with you in the New Year!! Keep up the great work and keep telling it has it is!!!
    :iagree

16. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  17. funnybones

funnybones Bit Poster

Hi ITworkxperience

Did you actually go and visit the place for yourself, have you been to the training rooms?, did you speak to the instructors at least?

Or did you do everything over the phone.

Only a thought

Henry

Certifications: N+ MCSE CCNA