Which Windows 2008 Cert to take

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by DiscoDave, Dec 17, 2008.

1. DiscoDave

DiscoDave Bit Poster

Hey everyone,

I posted here a while ago regarding the MCSE/MCSA for Windows Server 2003. I got a lot of helpful comments and I appreciate the contributions.

I took all the comments on board but there's been a development at work which has swayed my decision with Microsoft Certifications. To summarise:

I work as a systems administrator for a small company (about 80 employees and about 9 servers, The servers are running Windows Server 2000/2003). I'm the sole IT guy there, I deal with pretty much everything IT related.

The company I work for have offered to pay my expenses to take a Microsoft course (books and exam fees). I've hold fire for a bit because there was discussions going around about getting the servers replaced, essentially it's been put forward that the company replace their core servers with new ones running windows server 2008. This will mean that in the end I'll have the following to manage:

~3 x Windows Server 2003 (These are running software specifically stating that they require 2003 and not 2008 )
    ~5 x Windows Server 2008
    2x Exchange 2007 Servers

To me it seems like this is a very good opportunity, and considering the majority of the severs (including the core ones) will be running Windows Server 2008, I should look at getting Windows Server 2008 certifications. Seems logical, yes?

I've had a look at the Microsoft website (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcitp/default.mspx) under the "Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP)" certifications and I'm going to take:

MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator

However I'm not sure if I should combine this with either:

MCITP: Server Administrator or MCITP: Enterprise Administrator

This is where I need some assistance please. Because of the size of the company I'm thinking that the Enterprise Administrator certification may be a bit overkill for the environment I'm in. My interpretation of this certification is that it's designed for more experienced people in larger companies, and therefore I'm thinking the Server Administrator would be more suitable, what do you guys think?

If it makes any difference I'm only 22 and graduated from uni this year, so I'm not very experienced, but I have a lot of responsibility at work.

Anywho advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

David

2. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I would go for the server admin track and the exchange 2007 track. I think your way of thinking is spot on.
    Be sure to know powershell for the exchange track!

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would also say that, the main difference between the EA and the SA is that the SA cert and job role is more hands on administration & problem solvers, whereas the EA cert and job role is more on Windows infrastructure design. Unlike the MCSA and MCSE.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Denver Maxwell

Denver Maxwell Nibble Poster

Stick it on a 2003 64 bit box, at least there are lots of backup options. read about 2008 backup issues before hand.

Certifications: VMware VCP v5, GVF Level 3a, ITIL V3, Windows 2008 something or other...
    WIP: Prince 2? CCENT? mmm donno