Which way to go?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by welshy213, Mar 25, 2006.

1. welshy213

welshy213 New Member

Hey guys,

Just after picking some brains.

I have not long been made redundant from a major financial instituion where I was working for the past year doing AS400 tech support.
    Prior to this I worked as 1/2/3rd line support for a call centre, sole on site, support H/W and S/W networks and telephony systems.

I want to get back into this, but jobs are hard to come by, so intending on trying to get some certs done.
    Thanks to the ELWA, Education and Learning Wales and I able to get access to a £2500 grant for classes. Tossing up between doing both A+ and N+ or CCNA.
    I am also currently attending a local college doing an MCSA with first exam in a few weeks.

Any suggestions?

Cheers all

John

Certifications: Just got First MCP 70-270
    WIP: MCSA/E
  2. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Hi ya Welsh,

Having lived in S Wales for years i can tell ya that if your near either Bridgend or Barry both colleges there do the A+ and Cisco CCNA courses... I did mine at Barry. Im sure if your not near there then any college close to you probably will do them. Barry however is also a Prometric / Vue testing center so could do the N+ exam there even if you self sudy for it.
    The A+ N+ route seems to be what most people recommend for an entry level standard. However from your experience you should probably be able to wiz these and move on to the MCSE or CCNA with ease.

Good luck and all the best

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Don't forget that the CompTIA A+ and Net+ count as an elective for the MCSA. Sounds to me like you should have done them *prior* to embarking on the MCSA :blink

Good luck

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. welshy213

welshy213 New Member

Cheers all, I think the A+ n+ will probably be the way to go, as i can probably do the 10 day class and hopefully pass both while still looking for a new job. Then I can look at doing the CCNA part time at Bridgend College as Twizzle as suggested.

Cheers Guys

Welsh

Certifications: Just got First MCP 70-270
    WIP: MCSA/E